Do this particual model of LED strips produce ANY UV at all?

Chris Redfield

Joined Jul 1, 2020
Hello everybody,

I have question about LED strips.

I have movie prop that is very,VERY fragile and it's very sensitive to UV.

I have it displayed in my cabinet and I bought LED strips for illumination.

Problem is that I'm not sure if model that I bought emits UV even in smallest quantity.

I know some people are saying that LED don't produce UV at all,but that's not completely true.

Some models do and some don't.

I read that phosphorus have role in producing UV when it comes to LED lights.

I tried to contact company that made LED strip I get but they didn't replied to me back.

I was hoping that you may know if this particular model produce any UV?

Model name is Optonica LED Strip 12V 2835 60 LEDs SKU:4703

I manage to find them in catalog and I made a screen shot so you don't have to bother searching for it.

I'll post it so you can see specifications.

Every help is more than welcome.

led strip.JPG

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In addition to using a filter (even regular glass will filter out most of the UV), they make little test cards you can use to estimate your sun exposure. I don’t know if they’d be sensitive enough for your concern but maybe there is something similar out there for low levels of UV.

Chris Redfield

Joined Jul 1, 2020
From my research only brilliant blues and whites and even then the amount of UV emitted is considered negligible.
If you are still worried install a UV filter
I bought warm white 2700K version.
I did put UV Total 400 foil under LED strip that should make extra layer of protection,but world leading movie prop company that preserves and restore props told me that putting foil on LED strips was good idea and just to be 100% sure I should contact light manufacturer to ask them if lights are UV free.
In addition to using a filter (even regular glass will filter out most of the UV), they make little test cards you can use to estimate your sun exposure. I don’t know if they’d be sensitive enough for your concern but maybe there is something similar out there for low levels of UV.
LED strips are mounted almost at the border between outside and inside of the cabinet.
Strips are only 8mm wide,but lighting diodes are barely 2mm outside of the cabinet.It was the only way for mounting them without putting them inside of cabinet itself.
That being said,I can't rely too much of the glass since strips are only 2mm above glass and they have beam angle of 120 degrees.
I heard that there are some tools to measure UV,but I think they are expensive,however I never heard of the test cards you mention so I'll take a good look and try to dig more about that kind of tests and if they can help me with my case.

PS
Off the topic
I just had to tell you that you have one of the sweetest profile pictures ever.I adore cats.