Do ovens require special light bulbs?

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
The lightbulb in my oven has been out for some time. I just checked the bulb and it says 40W 120V JC Appliance. Are these bulbs specially built for ovens and are they easy to come across?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
At least in my country they are quite common. Find then im most larger food stores. That also sell light bulbs. But you are correct that they are specially built for ovens. They have work in the high temperature environment

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
They are made so the base does not corrode (and get stuck in side the socket) and higher temperature solder formulations are used (bottom center electrode) to allow service in excess of 1000F (550 C) for self-cleaning ovens. The bulbs cannot be on during the cleaning process but the metals exposed to those temperatures survive. It is also recommended to use these appliance bulbs in non-self cleaning ovens because the glass is thicker and is less likely to break during installation/removal since you can access only the crown of the bulb when turning it for most ovens.

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
I went to a hardware store today and the most common type of appliance bulb is a frosted type. It looks similar to the one I have. But my original bulb calls for 120V, where the one in the hardware store calls for 130V. Is this hazardous?