Do I need a high amp potentiometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka sparky

Joined Jun 10, 2013
I helped a friend build a car from scratch and we used two linear actuators to raise the engine cover, the rear half of the car since it is a mig engine design. Our actuators are controled through a box that lets us preset 3 stops using the feedback from the actuators internal potentiometer and a momentary switch. However it does not use the feedback to sync the actuators and one travels at a faster rate than the other causing the deck lid to open crooked. The box is protected with a 10 amp fuse and runs on normal car voltage 12 -13.5 volts. I thought putting a potentiometer in series of the fast actuator I could slow it down, but am having a hard time finding a pot to handle the amperage (most likley 5-7 amp). Is there a better way? Or a pot avaliable I havent found yet?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Sounds like you need a control system, e.g. a PID, to keep both motors at the same position/speed...What you are doing now is called open-loop control and will never seem to stay synchronized. What you need its a closed loop control system.

Unfortunately, automotive discussions are forbidden here, so this thread will be closed soon.

aka sparky

Joined Jun 10, 2013
I just saw that 00g's thread was kicked off because it was a automotive modification question. My question does involve automotive but it is a one of a kind ground up project not a modification of a car we bought. We designed and hand made the frame and body. I hand made the entire wiring harness for the car using military cannon plugs and Deutsch connectors. I just need guidance as to the best solution for my project. I hope it is still valid for the projects forum. I wil post a picture of the one of a kind car and my hand made eletronic center when I return from work tonight. Im running out of time right now because I work the late shift and am getting ready for work. Thanks

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. While building a car from scratch isn't a modification, it fits the general concept of this rule. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.