DIY Inductor Sites

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm interested in winding some of my own, but before I open the books and work with the equations, I was wonding what calculators are already out there on the web.

So what are the favorites?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Bill:

You need to Beg, Borrow, or Steal a copy of the RCA Radiotron Designer's Handbook. (No, you can't have MINE!)

The entire Chapter 10 is on CALCULATION OF INDUCTANCE. Chapter 11 is DESIGN OF RADIO FREQUENCY TRANSFORMERS.

This is all IN ADDITION to the fundamentals of inductance in the earlier chapters.

This book is THE authority on twiddling electrons.

Eric

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Bill:

You need to Beg, Borrow, or Steal a copy of the RCA Radiotron Designer's Handbook. (No, you can't have MINE!)

The entire Chapter 10 is on CALCULATION OF INDUCTANCE. Chapter 11 is DESIGN OF RADIO FREQUENCY TRANSFORMERS.

This is all IN ADDITION to the fundamentals of inductance in the earlier chapters.

This book is THE authority on twiddling electrons.

Eric
Looks like someone PDF'd the whole thing! Cool!

http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You are right. P Millet has scanned a lot of old (but VERY usefull) books.
The link I entered last september in the usefull websites thread.

Greetings,
Bertus

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What values and materials were you thinking about using?

Big recommendation: Get good wire. Second: Download the PDF Files from the two big ferrite companies, one of them has a calculator application as well.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have several applications in mind. I can buy what I need locally, but in writing some of these articles I would like to be able to explain how to roll your own.

For example, this WIP uses a >200µH coil. I remember seeing the formula in some of my old college books, but I was wondering what else was out there.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
DIY cores: In distant past I used strapping steel to wind torid cores, wrapped with glass tape, might all be plastic now.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I thank you all for the replies. Thingmakers site is pretty close to what I was looking for.

Let's assume a total beginner, someone who is playing with circuits on a protoboard, and who may not have ready access to a lot of components. What would be the easiest core you could imagine? One thought is a #2 pencil (is graphine reactive?), or a 1/4" dowel (or a close metric equivalent), or something I haven't thought of. KISS rules apply.

I was thinking of ways to measure inductance. A transfer standard might work (using a known value and a bridge), or a simple 100Khz oscillator, variable resistor, and a DVM. Something a noob might actually have, or could cobble together cheaply. It might even be worth making an experiment out of. Again, Keep It Simple Stupid applies.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.