DIY CRT oscilloscope only displays in tiny part of the screen.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
RPLaJuenesse has a good point. Magnetically deflected CRTs make poor oscilloscopes and even the most limited and inexpensive of the low-end LCD scopes are very practical and much more capable of actual measurements than I can imagine you could be with a magnetically deflected CRT.

Tyler Simmons

Joined Mar 30, 2019
A useful LCD based digital 'scope need not be expensive. You can sometimes find this one on sale for a little over 20 dollars US. https://www.banggood.com/DSO188-Poc...-p-1315186.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
even the most limited and inexpensive of the low-end LCD scopes are very practical and much more capable of actual measurements
So it seems you all agree. Thanks guys. That thing looks good enough for now. But still have to wait to buy.

Phil-S

Joined Dec 4, 2015
This route to a scope is just going to be a lot of grief.
I recently said goodby to an old but still working Tektronix "digital" CRT scope because quite frankly, it wasn't up to the job.
Moving over to a PC-based scope (Pico) gives me so much more really useful information, takes up a lot less bench space. I think you would be disappointed even with the Tektronix.The only thing it was really good for for was keeping the room warm.