DIY Boombox almost done, need help with power jack

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
I built a boombox out of a waterloo toolbox. It's raspberry pi powered, lithium ion battery built in, 30w hi-fi amplifier from 41khz audio driving a pair of 5" sony full range speakers... all really nice looking.

I'll post pics when its done, but what I need to finish is the power jack. I need a panel mount jack that fits any regular Dell power supply for laptops, like this one-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141049846538

The Inspiron 1501 is a good common example, but I havent been able to find any datasheet on the power jack those laptops use.

I could use any common laptop power supply, if it makes it easier to find jacks that will work with them. I want something common and easy to replace, and laptop power supplies are cheap and plentiful. My radio has a built-in li-ion charger circuit so all I need is at least 16v going in to charge my batteries.

I would like a 60w or higher power supply too, so I can charge and run the amplifier if need be. The power supply I linked above would be great, if I can find suitable jacks "panel mount" style jacks to go with.

Thanks in advance.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
I plan on making more and selling a few of these, that's why I wanted something pre-made. Just looking to save time, and also if someone had power supply problems they could just buy a new one.

But after searching, I decided to do what you suggested. 5.5mm x 2.1mm is the size I chose. I will just buy new power supplies and cut off the ends, and solder on my own connectors that are coming in the mail.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
Boombox up and LOUD!!! this thing is not only beautiful looking, it sounds amazing. Literally, the best sounding system I have ever had. The sound imaging is just crazy good, and so clear that the end sound quality entirely depends on the source. My cell phone only has so much clarity in it, and my boombox goes way beyond that.

48hrs continuous runtime on a charge too :D. That's with just one battery pack- there is room to double it however I think 2 days is plenty. That's about a week if you only listen to it for 6 hours a night...

I'll post pics tomorrow when there is daylight!