1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) starting at 9:00 EDT for a number of hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

DIY aviation blackbox

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ALT2016, Feb 13, 2007.

1. ALT2016

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Hi there.

This is my first post on these forums. My current level of electronics wizkid... I managed to get the LED to burn without it popping:D In other words, I'm virtually clueless.
    I've read through the rules and stuff and consequently did a search for my problem. I came accross something that seems to be in the right direction - Impedance Matching - but the discussion was not exactly matching my question, so here goes:
    I have an airband scanner and would like to make recordings of the conversations between ATC and the pilots. From what I can gather, there are only two usable outputs on the radio - One is for a 4ohm speaker and the other is for a 500ohm headphone. The speaker has to stay, so I was considering using the headphone output to plug into a portable casette recorder.
    The radio is on loan from a relative, so I do not want to make any permanent changes to it, much less cause any damage.

Can I just go ahead and plug the radio's headphones-out into the recorder's mic/line-in or should I be looking at some resistance between the two devices?

At a later stage, I would also like to do the recording straight to PC and the same question applies.

As I said, I'm a total newby to electronics, so for now, I'll put up with the laughter:rolleyes:

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The headphone output being rated for 4 ohm loads is a measure of it's ability to handle a certain amount of current. For your purposes, it is not too significant. The input resistance of the line-in input of your recorder will be way above 4 ohms, so the scanner output won't be loaded.

Don't use the mike input, though - it will have extra gain built in and will be very hard to set a level where the scanner output will not be distorted.

3. ALT2016

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Thanks for your reply, beenthere. Your explanation seems simple enough. Unfortunately, my level of understanding is even simpler. (Yes I know - I should have listened in class all those years back).

If I understand you correctly, I can just go ahead and plug the headphone-out directly into the line-in of the recorder without having to worry about damage?

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Yes, but start off with the volume at a low level. Adjust it for a clear recording.