DIY almost-variac

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
I remember reading many moons ago about someone using a pair of 120V-12V AC transformers with (an L-Pad? a varistor?) mounted between the two, which would work as a ~0 to ~120VAC variable power supply.

I stuck the idea into the Just-in-case-I-need-it-Someday part of my memory. Now I wonder if this is, in general, A Good Idea, or if it was from Looney-Land. Obviously, a fuse or two would be needed, but is there anything basically wrong with this idea?

The concept, pictorially:
120VAC =[X]=/ 12VAC /==[VR]==/ 0-12VAC /=[X]= 0-120VAC

[X] X'former
[VR] Variable Resisitance

Thanks,
--Rich

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
It won't work at any appreciable output current level. The secondary impedance of a transformer is N^2 (N squared) times the primary impedance, where N is the turns ratio. For a 12:120 transformer, your L-pad impedance will be multiplied by 100 as seen at the output of your "variac".

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
It won't work at any appreciable output current level. The secondary impedance of a transformer is N^2 (N squared) times the primary impedance, where N is the turns ratio. For a 12:120 transformer, your L-pad impedance will be multiplied by 100 as seen at the output of your "variac".
Thanks, Ron! :D It seemed like a good idea, so I guess my BS detector was tripping. I s'pose if it was that easy, there'd be dozens of plans for the circuit. I'm glad I never needed a "semi-variac" ("semi" in that the output voltage would never be greater than the input voltage).

--Rich