Diy 3D Printer Info???

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I was looking at building a 3d printer .. Well I am looking plans cad drawings to hand to my machinist to make .. Also is the any good websites to check out ??? What is the difference between a extruter and laser 3D printer like what's cheaper and etc and why ???? Is it better to build your extruder or buy one and is there any design I should stay away or go with ???

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Dallas Maker Space has several for members to use. What are the most popular parts 3D printers make? More 3D printer parts of course!

You might look for a Maker Space in your area, they are getting quite common.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
... is there any design I should stay away or go with ???
Sorry if this is contrary to your goal, but a CNC router/mill can do so much stuff than a 3D printer can't, to so many different materials, and to much better tolerances.

If you have already ruled out a CNC router/mill then please disregard, but if your goal is to make real things then you should spend some time comparing the two and talking to people that own them before deciding. :)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
you can always just make 1 machine with a cnc milling spindle head, 3d printer extruder head and laser head. :) .. thats my plan.. just have the cnc milling part done now and will use it to build the rest of the components for the other heads.. I even plan on adding a pick and place head for SMT component placement

and the best part of a diy cnc machine or 3d printer or whatever is designing it yourself and not going by others plans..
my machine so far... its a rock solid beast.. 18" x 24" work area
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9726802/cnc/CNC 2.jpg

running a 4 axis smoothieboard with smoothieware firmware.. controlled via pronterface
nema 23 steppers for all but z axis which is nema 17. NSK spindle capable of 40k RPM

of course 3d printers are getting so cheap now.. you can get one for under $500 now..
http://us.xyzprinting.com/Product

"IF" I was going to just make a 3d printer I would do a deltabot (kossel/rostock) just because its a "cooler" /different design.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
A thing of beauty. :cool:
Yep..:cool: .its my own "simple but solid" design.. based loosely off a bunch of other machines I've seen around.
Helps having access to a real Haas cnc to machine the few brackets needed.

But that little sucker can machine just about anything I want.. from acrylics with ease to aluminum/steel,etc..

and 8020 extrusion (its misumi stuff actually) is great.. very straight/solid.

Hardest part is squaring it all up. But nothing a dial indicator/micrometers,etc.. can't fix.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Nice! Good use of supported rails and your geometry is not too bad, except maybe the Z axis.

It looks very sturdy, being a CNC router design. Not like what most people see as "3D printers" made from plastic bits screwed together with 1/4" threaded rod! :eek:

You might find that the 5mm pitch leadscrews are a bit slow for 3D printing, i'm not sure you will get the required inches per second linear travel for a really good result.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Dallas Maker Space has several for members to use. What are the most popular parts 3D printers make? More 3D printer parts of course!

You might look for a Maker Space in your area, they are getting quite common.
Thanks but when I would get there right before it closes and my kids take up most of my time otherwise..

Sorry if this is contrary to your goal, but a CNC router/mill can do so much stuff than a 3D printer can't, to so many different materials, and to much better tolerances.

If you have already ruled out a CNC router/mill then please disregard, but if your goal is to make real things then you should spend some time comparing the two and talking to people that own them before deciding. :)
lol
I fully understand but I am working on getting a 9" lathe and would like to have a brigdeport milling machine... So I want a 3d printer cause I have access to a cnc ,lathe ,and milling machine at a friends house ....

My main goal is to build a Delta style printer with SD compatible and stand alone .. I went with the delta style cause space is a premium and I have no desk or anything to store it .... So it need to be portable and be able to print using anything so a heat bed is a must...I have almost everything figured out but still have a couple questions but was about to look for some kind of guide to building one to answer some of my questions ...

Here my questions...

1-What size plastic size do I go with ??? Like 3mm or 1.75mm
2-Who makes the best exstruder or has a design that works with about everything ????
3-What is best belt drive or screw drive ??
Also I am not worried about speed I just want a accurate print...
4-If you use belt drive then what size pulleys do you use ???
5-Going with the screw drive what thread count is best or does it matter???
6-What size nozzle do you use on the head ????

Thanks

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I can't help with the plastic extruding side, but re the thread count for the leadscrews; a delta machine is leveraged to give fast movement and larger distance movement from small movement at the 3 leadscrews. So you will require quite fine pitch leadscrews. Many hobby machines use threaded rod as leadscrews.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009