diy 2.1 pc speaker

juggler73

Joined Apr 10, 2010
hi
i got a old 5.1 home theatre system and i wanna recycle it into a 2.1 Pc speaker set.

well i took it apart and found that it has 5x TDA2003 and 1x TDA2030A and couple 7805, 7812 regulators a toroidal tranformer and loads of capacitors and resistors loads of other stuff.
also one 6" woofer and 5 small speakers.
so i was looking up the schematics on the amplifiers and found that they could easily be used for a 2.1 speaker setup

so i was thinking that i could use 4 Tda2003's, 2 bridged for left and 2 bridged for right and the Tda2030a for the woofer.
i just need help connecting it up with the power and how to have the woofer for the bass.

thanks

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It's quite simple and you are on the right track.
Do you have the volume controls and the crossover filters if any

juggler73

Joined Apr 10, 2010
well the TDA2003 dont bridge that well so im going for the TDA7240A for the two amplifiers. and the tda2030a for the woofer

im stuck of the active crossover circuit ive looked and they all seem over my head. and how to connect to the speakers, does the woofer connect to one channel or both

also the connecting of the transfromer to the whole thing, but ive got the pic for the bridge rectifier bit

im going to connect 2 speaker in parallel which think the speaker are 4ohms each.
Subwoofer output power 35 watt RMS
Output Power 5 x 7 watt RMS

thanks

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Like I said on the other website, the cheap little 3" speakers have maybe only 4.3W each. A little more power than a cheap clock radio that also uses a 3" speaker.

But you show a bridged amplifier IC that might blow them up with 14W or more.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Yeah.. those speakers won't produce much and they are full range.
For active crossover u need to have atleast a suitable mid- woofer & a tweeter.
If you want to use those then the TDA2030 will be just fine and for that you do not need active crossovers. They are like altec lansing speakers I have seen and are full range, produces a somewhat descent sound if driven within limits, but high range response ain't satisfactory, I donno abt those what you have.
Seeing the size of the speakers, if they are ur RL channel ones then u can suffice with 2030 or 7240 per side.
I have to see the woofer to say anything

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Of course an active crossover circuit is needed. It keeps the bass out of the tiny speakers that cannot produce bass and keeps the high frequencies out of the woofer that has trouble prouducing high frequencies.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
with those tiny bugger passive will do fine. active crossovers are for drivers that produce better sound. don't you think.
I don't see why OP have to go via the trouble of active crossover when he can't actually use it's purpose

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Did they sound like crap when you cranked them?

If not, you should go with the same amp that was in the production design. Reuse it.

juggler73

Joined Apr 10, 2010
yeah it was pretty good, ps2 connected with optical out was really good.

i could use one tda2003 for one speaker channel but i want to connect them in parallel so i thought why not bridge the tda2003 to boost the two speakers.
i just wanted to get help in connecting it all up amp to crossover and the power
thanks

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Do you have the data sheets for the tda2003? That will be the first step.

There should be schematics for setting the amp up a few different ways in the data sheet.

As for the cross over, I would use a lowpass filter on the woofer and a bandpass to the mids.

Are you looking for a eq you can set or just a few filter caps and call it a day?

With the filter caps, you can connect them as across the terminals at the speaker. That is recommended.

juggler73

Joined Apr 10, 2010
i have nothing working yet i cant even get a usable schematic
i feel like im going in circles
i want to use the tda2030 for the woofer
and 2 tda7240 for the speakers 2 in parallel
a crossover which ever one i need
and i need to know how to connect all up.
would i need to have a regulated power supply
thanks

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The speakers have separate amplifiers so of course an active crossover circuit should be used. He won't need to search for or make inductors for a passive crossover.

Here is a 12dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley active crossover circuit. The woofer lowpass filter is inverted since even-order crossovers cause a notch at the crossover frequency and the inversion fixes it. The Linkwitz-Riley alignment creates a perfectly flat response (a Butterworth response causes a +3db peak at the crossover frequency).

It came from this site: http://www.sound.westhost.com/index2.html

Attachments