Divining rods

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Divining rods... Yeah, I know... :rolleyes: But I have had metal rods repeatedly cross when going across a yard in the same place, and I'm wondering about magnetic fields, and the natural charge in your body??? My metal detector does something similar and generates a response to a field, could this also be possible? Parallel conductors and electrostatic charges?

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Yes, but that seems to be rather controversial. I am looking to place the action of the rods into the realm of scientific possibility before I will attempt to substantiate the claims. ;) Here we go mythbusters...

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I had a foreman once who was amazingly accurate detecting "walkerduct" raceways and buried conduit by this method. He was a no-nonsense, down-to-earth, waste-no-time kind of guy.

I can't fathom any mechanism other than this: the human nervous system is one heck of a complicated antenna-looking thing, and it connects to the muscles.

sarwiz

Joined Mar 9, 2009
I have found water pipes, sewer pipes, buried cables and even a gas line once using a couple of coat hangers as divining rods. It does work, and has a lot to do with the body's internal current, and the fact that most things found have some sort of magnetic material in them.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
If you dig deep enough, won't you eventually find something? About 5 years ago, I had to dig a big hole for a big dog that passed. About 4 feet down, I found sections of old ceramic sewer pipe. The PVC pipe was a couple feet over. Didn't choose the site for any particular reason, just close to the property line, and hopefully not too close to the oak trees, where I'd need to cut through a lot of roots. Other than the sewer pipe stopping me from achieving the 6 foot depth I was going for, it worked fine.

I had a lot of interest in mysterious things, like divining rods, read a lot, saw a few shows on TV. Lots of ways to look at it, could be some people are more sensitive, and have the 'gift'. Could be something that takes practice, like learning to whistle. But I'm going with just knowing how to read the land. We pick up a whole lot of information, and don't realize how it's all associated. But when presented with something similar, we start putting the pieces together.

So you want to dig a well. You've seen dozens of wells in your area, some dry, some seem to never empty. Perhaps you've helped neighbors dig a few, some came in, others never reached water. At the time, you might not be thinking about the cut of the land, the trees, vegetation, rocks, surrounding hills. But your brain keeps track of all these things and more. Perhaps the rods are just a focusing point, for what your brain is putting together from your past experiences with wells.