Diskless Boot Ubuntu from iSCSI - Configuration

Ab Abrams

Joined Apr 27, 2017
Hello to everyone,
I am beginner on this field but If somebody has the patience to explain me in detailed manner I will appreciate it.

Well, I want to install and boot Ubuntu (14.04 lets say) from an iSCSI server.
I have a server that I have already installed as an iSCSI target server, DHCP, TFTP and PXE servers (services). All the services running in one server.

I have read plenty of tutorials but are kind of complicated and I do not understand the actual configuration sequence.

I have a client machine with already installed in the local hard drive ubuntu 14.04 and it is connected to the iSCSI target as initiator successfuly. But now, I want to make it diskless boot the OS from the iscsi.

My prolem and that I can not understand is:
How i can install initialy the OS through the network on the iSCSI target .img file (80G) that I have created?
And then, every time that the client boots to boot directly from the iscsi, through the iPXE bootloader?

Can somebody explain me the sequence with some basics configurations that I have to do?

My DHCP, TFTP and iSCSI target work at the moment.
I use the default tftp root path /var/lib/tftpboot
and through the DHCP I advertise the filename "pxelinux.0".
I have set the iqn and the client is connected.

Do I have to add at the DHCP configuration an option for the iSCSI?

Sorry for my english and my explanation if it is not so clear.

Many thanks!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Hello to everyone,
I am beginner on this field but If somebody has the patience to explain me in detailed manner I will appreciate it.

Well, I want to install and boot Ubuntu (14.04 lets say) from an iSCSI server.
I have a server that I have already installed as an iSCSI target server, DHCP, TFTP and PXE servers (services). All the services running in one server.

I have read plenty of tutorials but are kind of complicated and I do not understand the actual configuration sequence.

I have a client machine with already installed in the local hard drive ubuntu 14.04 and it is connected to the iSCSI target as initiator successfuly. But now, I want to make it diskless boot the OS from the iscsi.

My prolem and that I can not understand is:
How i can install initialy the OS through the network on the iSCSI target .img file (80G) that I have created?
And then, every time that the client boots to boot directly from the iscsi, through the iPXE bootloader?

Can somebody explain me the sequence with some basics configurations that I have to do?

My DHCP, TFTP and iSCSI target work at the moment.
I use the default tftp root path /var/lib/tftpboot
and through the DHCP I advertise the filename "pxelinux.0".
I have set the iqn and the client is connected.

Do I have to add at the DHCP configuration an option for the iSCSI?

Sorry for my english and my explanation if it is not so clear.

Many thanks!
Does this help?