Discussions you have had with friends where you came away scratching your head?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Judging from my Karma in this life, I was really awful in a previous life.:( Luckily, I can't remember what I'm being punished for.:D
I believe in Karma too. I must have drowned in a previous life, I hate the water, and never have been able to learn to swim. A day at a beach is like being punished.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I believe in Karma too.
I don't believe in reincarnation and have little faith in Karma.:( I just believe bad things happen to good people (when they should be happening to bad people), but Karma makes a useful foundation for jocular content.

(Credit to HP for raising the general level of language usage on this site. What's the word for love of words? Something that ends in, "philia".)

Edit: Logophilia
http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/philias.html

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Judging from my Karma in this life, I was really awful in a previous life.:( Luckily, I can't remember what I'm being punished for.:D
My Ex used to play the karmic payout justifications game a lot. I used to tell her we did bad things in our past lives and we were the others punishment so just accept it. She ran away from it anyway, to which so far it looks like karma made some adjustments and balanced that choice out. My life got better and hers got even worse! :p

Yeah what's up with that? Are we the only weirdos doing this?
It happens most often while I'm driving. On mental auto pilot, zoned out, my train of thought wanders away and falls off into that cabinet.
It's like my brain is programmed to run a self flagellation subroutine in power saving mode.
I'll just relive the most embarrassing thing I said to a girl (and subsequent rejection) in highschool. Or the fight I had with my wife last year where I said something I regret.

I "snap out" of it after a while, like waking up from a dream.
I will have actually changed my posture while in that mode; head down, as low as it can go while still looking thru the windshield.
Then I have to shake off the gross feeling left in the wake of it, like chalk stuck to your hands that only comes off with water.
You're not the only one whose mind runs high level subroutines to try and build safeguards around the negative things you have done so that you don't do them on purpose again.

My safeguard building subroutines however, aren't so strong and active any more being I put an active effort into living a clean productive and positive life. It's also why my dreams are wild and wonderful and almost always easily and vividly remembered! No big self inflicted regrets to suffer through any more so i have a clean conscious to work with in my day to day decision and action making processes. :cool:

That and I have been around enough terrible little people now that I have so many reasons to feel so much better about who I am and how I act and what I have going for me than ever before. Just knowing I am not them makes every day brighter! :cool:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I've had to convince more than one person that leaving a fan on in a room when no-one's there does not cool it down.
(Of course it actually warms it slightly).
Well it depends. In my home the basement is always very cool for at least most of the summer. I have ceiling fans. I turn on the ceiling fans then turn on the furnace fan. The ceiling fans force warm air down to the return and cool air is sent to the rooms from the furnace in the basement. I can avoid running the AC for a significant part of the summer using this method.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well it depends. In my home the basement is always very cool for at least most of the summer. I have ceiling fans. I turn on the ceiling fans then turn on the furnace fan. The ceiling fans force warm air down to the return and cool air is sent to the rooms from the furnace in the basement. I can avoid running the AC for a significant part of the summer using this method.
There I go taking my own thread OT. ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My nephew was in a bar. He went to the can. When he came out, the whole population had been herded out the front door by a police raid.:eek:
The back door was open and unguarded. He walked toward the police.:confused:

I saw three armed muggers approaching from 150 feet away. I slapped my date on the arse and said, "Run!":eek:
She planted her feet firmly in place, grabbed me by the lapels, and said, "Why?":confused:

Never again has my first move been about saving somebody else.:mad:

A postal clerk said he could not ship my package because it had Scotch Tape on it and Scotch Tape turns yellow and falls off.
I said, "I had hoped you would deliver the package before Scotch Tape gets old enough to turn yellow and fall off.":D
The ceiling fans force warm air down to the return and cool air is sent to the rooms from the furnace in the basement.
In most configurations, the fans are not necessary and counter productive because the air from the A/C vents entrains the room air by velocity mixing.

Meteorology. to transfer (air) into an organized air current from the surrounding atmosphere.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
In most configurations, the fans are not necessary and counter productive because the air from the A/C vents entrains the room air by velocity mixing.

Meteorology. to transfer (air) into an organized air current from the surrounding atmosphere.
I'll have to give it a try without the fans. Just seems to keep the house cooler with them on.

I should try and prove it but that would mean making a detailed log of atmospheric conditions..... Nahhhh..

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
My son was the best math student in middle school (by far). The small town school district had to pick two students to send to the regional math competition. My son was not picked to represent the school so I asked the principal about it when I saw him at the grocery store. He set up an appointment with the math teachers who made the decision.

They quickly told me that more than test scores were used to make the decision. I said he had perfect scores on his homework and he helped tutor several students. They agreed but they said he was too rude to represent the school - Apparently he kept interrupting class to point out their errors.

My mouth fell open, I was about to laugh and the principal quickly stood up, shook my hand (as he pulled me out of my chair) and thanked me for coming in (as he pulled me into the hallway). When we were out of earshot, he said my son would not be going to the competition since the other kids were already told they were representing the school. He did promise that those teachers would not be around to pick next year's talent if I would walk across the street to the superintendent with him.

I still feel bad that my son didn't represent the school. I'm sure he would have had a full scholarship to MIT if he did.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
A postal clerk said he could not ship my package because it had Scotch Tape on it and Scotch Tape turns yellow and falls off.
I said, "I had hoped you would deliver the package before Scotch Tape gets old enough to turn yellow and fall off.":D

"The horse I bet on was so slow, the jockey kept a diary of the trip."

Henny Youngman

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'll have to give it a try without the fans. Just seems to keep the house cooler with them on.
Trane Air Conditioning Manual:
"A person who believes he is uncomfortable is just as uncomfortable as if he was uncomfortable."
The difference is so small that you would probably need a thermometer to prove anything, but if you believe it works, it works.;)

After all, the only way you have been measuring was by moving a human into the room and perceiving with your skin.
The instant you use a human to measure, evaporation comes into the equation, and sensible heat minus latent heat is always going to win over sensible heat, if that's your only measuring tool. In other words, the fans do help you feel cooler, but when you're not there, the fans are self defeating by converting electrical energy into heat energy.:(

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Trane Air Conditioning Manual:
"A person who believes he is uncomfortable is just as uncomfortable as if he was uncomfortable."
The difference is so small that you would probably need a thermometer to prove anything, but if you believe it works, it works.;)

After all, the only way you have been measuring was by moving a human into the room and perceiving with your skin.
The instant you use a human to measure, evaporation comes into the equation, and sensible heat minus latent heat is always going to win over sensible heat, if that's your only measuring tool. In other words, the fans do help you feel cooler, but when you're not there, the fans are self defeating by converting electrical energy into heat energy.:(
But I don't go into some of the rooms were a ceiling fan is on and the rest of the house seems cooler when it is on. My theroy the ceiling fans are helping to circulate warm air trapped at the ceiling. But the paragraph is still correct, it needs to be measured.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My theory the ceiling fans are helping to circulate warm air trapped at the ceiling. But the paragraph is still correct, it needs to be measured.
It's hard to trick me with a thermodynamics problem.;)
But it's also hard to quantify the radiant heat coming from the ceilings. The air flow from the fans will completely wash that factor out of your thermometer reading. Try sticking the thermometer (or a fast thermocouple) right against the ceiling to see if its a heat radiator.
Put a dry sponge or other piece of insulation on a stick and hold the sensor against the ceiling with the insulation. That will suppress air flow and thus measure the radiant factor.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
In High School, a group of us were into backpacking in the White Mountains.

One time we were leaving in the early morning, when I noticed that we were being followed by several police cars. Flustered, I said, "Stop! Blue flashing lights!"

The driver, who'd argue with a fence post kept asking, "Why?" I could just respond with the same. About a mile later, she finally stopped and the car was surrounded with many officers, weapons drawn.

Seems there had been a bank robbery and when we wouldn't stop...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

One time we were leaving in the early morning, when I noticed that we were being followed by several police cars. Flustered, I said, "Stop! Blue flashing lights!"

The driver, who'd argue with a fence post kept asking, "Why?" I could just respond with the same. About a mile later, she finally stopped and the car was surrounded with many officers, weapons drawn.

The fact you were all wearing black masks probably did not help much. ;)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013

With my Ex driving/dealing with her driving was entertaining to say the least and for very similar mindsets.

When we got married she needed a vehicle so I fixed up my old 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis sedan which is the same vehicle they used for highway patrol cars for years due to the good power to weight ratios as rear wheel drive V8 powered full size cars go.

After about 2 - 3 weeks of driving it she said the speedometer was not working right so I figured given its age the sending unit was getting buggy being that is a common problem on those. I drove it for a week and never saw a single thing wrong.

She went back to driving and within a day "it's still doing it." came up.

So to see exactly what is going on I had her drive when we were going to town one day so that way she could tell me exactly when it does it.

Anyway, we come off the gravel road onto the highway and she sinks my 260 pound butt way back into the seat like jetliner taking off, then exclaims,

"Right there! It just did it again! You had to have seen it this time!"

I say, "What did it do? I didn't see anything."

To which she responds, Right there. It goes up fast like that every time!

Rolling off a side road at 5 - 10 MPH then hitting 70+ in less than 6 seconds tends to have that effect on speedometers. :rolleyes:

Her previous vehicle was a 1970's VW bug with the mid sized engine so hitting the highway with it was almost always based on put it to the floor and stay on it until it hit traffic speed. A big V8 powered car just does it way quicker.:p

Last edited: