Discharging a Li-ion camcorder Battery

Matthew Phillips

Joined Dec 22, 2013
Hi guys, this is going to sound stupid but i have a 7.2v camera battery i would like to discharge before i dispose of it, now i don't have much in the way of equipment but i have a Analogue multimeter for testing the voltage. i have got these to discharge it: a 12v fan and a 12v car radio attached to it but it wont discharge even a little. Its been on for at least 30 minutes. Can someone recommend a faster discharge method. (THE METHODS MUST BE SAFE)

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi guys, this is going to sound stupid but i have a 7.2v camera battery i would like to discharge before i dispose of it, now i don't have much in the way of equipment but i have a Analogue multimeter for testing the voltage. i have got these to discharge it: a 12v fan and a 12v car radio attached to it but it wont discharge even a little. Its been on for at least 30 minutes. Can someone recommend a faster discharge method. (THE METHODS MUST BE SAFE)
If it is a battery pack, there is control electronics inside to prevent you from discharging it too far because Li batteries can catch fire from that. The electronics open a FET switch when the battery voltage drops to a pre set point. You should never try to discharge an Li battery to zero.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
If it is a battery pack, there is control electronics inside to prevent you from discharging it too far because Li batteries can catch fire from that. The electronics open a FET switch when the battery voltage drops to a pre set point. You should never try to discharge an Li battery to zero.

not all battery packs have chips in them though..

I would just recycle the battery pack. Well I mean I would put it on a grill and shoot it with a nailgun to watch the fireworks... but that's not safe.