magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
That's impressive
I can't find anything in it to suggest it's not an old b/w photo
They even put everything more out of focus the further back it is
insane

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you look very close you can see imperfections. The lamps on the left, for example, go a little monochrome (more than reality). Still, both are very impressive.

Did you notice how long it takes him to draw one of these?

I suspect one of the guys doing the chalk think could do it, same attention to detail.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I love those chalk drawings. I assume that is what it is.

Here is another one I found interesting...

This is a pencil drawing, believe it or not.

This is raw talent and skill.
They teach this in art school its actually not too hard with minimal instruction. You just take the bw photo and grid it out into blocks. Then transfer the blocks by pencil. Once you have basic skills you'd be suprised how easy it is. When I was younger I could do it, now probably not, haven't picked up any real art tools in 20 years.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Perhaps, but I've been around for a long time, and it is the first I've seen. I have done the block method with simpler stuff. Care to point out anything comparable, or even close with pencil drawings? BTW, they are not sketched over a photo (though the article did mention photographs), it is not done to scale. These are large drawings, with details and texturing that was done by hand. By my definition it is art.

They showed him in process of drawing in the article, no blocks there.

Hyperrealism was born from the idea of photorealism, which are paintings based on photographs but created in a non-photographic medium.

Taking an average of between three and six weeks to produce, Cadden creates about seven pieces each year - which usually come in A1 or A0 sizes - and sell at galleries for up to £5,000 each.
To me it is a bit unclear whether he used a photograph or not, they did not use the word recreated.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I don't see what you're referring to with the lamps. The only thing I see is the left cheek of the guy on the right, shading looks a little off. Other than that, looks like a friggin photograph to me. unbelievable.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Agreed. If you look extremely close you can see where various areas are off on the texturing, but the article mentions those too. The artist mentioned a favorite, I agree.

Like I said, I love the chalk drawings, and I love these. I've never seen anything like them on the net or in person. Actually, I have seen other examples of chalk, but it doesn't diminish the art. I enjoy it as I see it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Yeah the chalk is amazing too. It's just that I get the same chain email every couple of months with the chalk drawing for years now, so the new is worn off.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
There are tons
https://www.google.com/search?q=pho...yAaPO2wW52P30Bg&ved=0CFAQsAQ&biw=1745&bih=857
I was really into graphic art when I was young and did lots of sketching and inking. I wish I had some of the photo real sketches I did, first sucessful one I did was of alfred hitchcock. You say why alfred hitchcock? Because back then there was no internet nor digital pictures so it was a limited selection of black and white photo's to use. And when you start you trace out a grid on the photo and paper then go block by block to transfer it. I'm sure if your really good you wouldn't need the grid.

Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I'm not saying that these people are doing it but I've seen a couple of good shortcuts. A guy painting a picture on the wall of a pub was using a projector to help him, and there's a pavement "artist" in Birmingham who turns up with sheets of paper already with a chalk drawing on, tapes them to the ground and then spends the day pretending to do them.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
A guy painting a picture ... using a projector to help him,... a pavement "artist" in Birmingham who turns up with sheets of paper already with a chalk drawing on...
Fragments of your sentence give me an Idea how I would get all the scaling correct to make the image look 3D for the chalk art (if I could draw). Come in the middle of the night and set up a projector in the street with a picture on it, and trace all the outlines where they fall. All the hard 3D work is done. Then just get started on the filling in, and by the time you're done, it should look 3D from the spot where you had the projector sitting the night before.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think where the talent comes in is when you can do the same thing freehand. Some people have it, others want to, and others don't care. The ones that have it come in varying degrees, I would love to know how well they can visualize in their head what that need to do. I can't, and would love to be able to do it.

On maxpower's examples there is only one picture that comes close to the gentleman's art (the little girl), and it falls way short. None of them can be confused with a photograph. I've had other people on other forums start to argue that it was a photo, even family members.

At one point in our history, before photo's, this was the goal for drawing. Even then a lot fell short, while accomplishing their goal of showing what a person looked like at a set point in time.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009