Disappearing Thread

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Given that threads for circuits/projects with direct patient contact - something I would rank as way more dangerous than anything automotive - meet with no objections, this is ... disappointing; informative, but disappointing..

ak

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Personally, I am a big fan of muscle stimulation machines, as mentioned by Gopher just before the thread was whacked. They are effective, as opposed to colloidal silver. They can be built with a 9 volt battery as the power supply. This makes me think it would be rather difficult to harm a person with them, at least not much harm before he/she objected. :D

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I agree with all of that about TENS. Safe, effective, etc.

Note - I don't think all automotive threads are safe, nor do I think all medical threads are dangerous. But those two topics are good bookends for this discussion.

My problem is that some topics are banned even though many of the threads are trivial from a safety standpoint, yet there is no blanket ban on other topics where the percentage of dangerous stuff is noticeably higher.

ak

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My problem is that some topics are banned even though many of the threads are trivial from a safety standpoint, yet there is no blanket ban on other topics where the percentage of dangerous stuff is noticeably higher.
That's what, "Feedback and Suggestions" is for. I already posted a note to consider banning medical quackery.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I believe many of such threads fall under the following clause of the ToS. This sentence gives our moderators sufficient discretion in removing or closing threads.

"Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member"

As I've said before, I am not a proponent of many rules which try to cover every possible scenario. I trust our moderators to judge posts which "adversely affect"; they'll "know it when [they] see it."

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I already posted a note to consider banning medical quackery.
I'm not talking about passing judgement on the worthiness of a thread based on arbitrary, subjective, and emotionally inflammatory labels. Indeed, many of the responses around here from senior and expert members fall into the "why would you do that (or do it that way)" category. And yet the threads are allowed to continue. Clearly inexperience/unawareness is not a qualification criterion.

I'm trying to parse the difference between ineffective and dangerous. As an off-topic example, I don't think copper bracelets do any quantifiable good about anything. But it also is clear that they have no potential for *medical* harm. Stupid? Maybe. But dangerous, and especially dangerous enough to ban discussion? Borscht. Given that the word "forum" is right there in the title, I would think banning discussion of anything would be the last resort, and based on something at least passingly objective.

ak

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm not talking about passing judgement on the worthiness of a thread based on arbitrary, subjective, and emotionally inflammatory labels.

I'm trying to parse the difference between ineffective and dangerous.
My point of view is that anything about making rules belongs to the owner or the moderators, and the Feedback and Suggestions forum is the right place to post such questions. I was merely directing you to the right place to get the attention of the moderators.

ps, MrChips told me in PM that the thread was deleted, as in, "did not just get lost due to a computer glitch".
We are accustomed to seeing a thread get locked. When it just disappears, that causes (me) confusion.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
not dangerous? on an electrical board? I am not allowed to wear any jewelry at all while working, much less a copper bracelet.
Which is why I stressed " *medical* " harm. Anyone, smart or stupid, with a metal watch band or wedding ring can do serious damage to himself and equipment, but that's completely unrelated. In my example I was talking about a copper bracelet causing a heart attack, or kidney failure, or making the hand fall off - something medically dangerous.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
ps, MrChips told me in PM that the thread was deleted, as in, "did not just get lost due to a computer glitch".
We are accustomed to seeing a thread get locked. When it just disappears, that causes (me) confusion.
I'm still new enough around here that I have no feel for how rare (or not) is this event. However, I'm not confused at all.

ak