Disable start-up items

pujulde

Joined Jul 24, 2013
I watched a video where was recommended to disable start up items. But i do not understand what would happen. I think, that after booting OS it checks applications which are Enabled in start up. Am I right, if anybody explain , I would be very grateful.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The programs would not start. That is all.

For example. On my Windows machine I have Startup folder. In this folder I have a program that monitors my video card. When Windows starts, this program is activated. This way I don't need to start this program myself every time I turn on the computer, Windows does it for me automatically.

If I remove this program from the Startup folder, the program will not start when Windows starts. In effect I disabled the automatic start of the program.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The start-up folder is one way of starting programs automaticaly.
A more tricky way that is used often are start-ups as a registry entry.
The Pacs-portal site shows a lot of entries that do start-up from a registry entry.
The database on that site will tell you how the programs are started.

An other way to start programs is by the use of services.
This is the way how for example a virusscanner or a database server is started

Bertus

Last edited:

pujulde

Joined Jul 24, 2013
I have to ask one more question, I understand all about start up items due to your assistance and reading some material, but what would happen if I disable services from System Configuration, are these services started automatically by turning on computer or it depends on applications which performed. And would Windows loading quicker?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Disabling auto-starts can make the computer boot quicker. If you need one of those programs later, just click on its shortcut and it WILL start. It will just start slower than it would if it was in the automatic startup listings.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I have to ask one more question, I understand all about start up items due to your assistance and reading some material, but what would happen if I disable services from System Configuration, are these services started automatically by turning on computer or it depends on applications which performed. And would Windows loading quicker?
It is tricky question.

Windows starts the processes. So just starting computer is not enough. You need to start computer and wait for Windows to start.

For example. I can use a boot disk. I turn on the computer, the computer goes to check the drives, sees boot disk in floppy or cd drive and starts reading it. Depending on the type of the boot disk, I might start a different OS or I might simply get to command line. I never start Windows and Windows never starts its processes.