direction sensing circuit for motor

devalvyas

Joined Nov 11, 2008
Hi again ..

I am interested in detecting the direction of rotation of a micro motor..can anyone please help with a simple circuit and schematics of a quadrature encoder using flipflops that can help me know direction of rotation..

i am not interested in knowing the speed of rotation..

the motor shaft will be rotating at speed between of 6000 to 12000 rpm

thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Using a quadrature shaft encoder, feed one of the encoder outputs to the data input of a D-type flip-flop and the other encoder output to the clock of the D-type flip-flop.

hgmjr

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Is it possible to just detect the polarity of the power to the motor?

Ken

OOPs! missed part of the request. :(

Last edited:

devalvyas

Joined Nov 11, 2008
Take a look at Question #7 on this worksheet taken from the AAC workbook.

hgmjr

Yes i looked at it...will this circuit give me a 0 or a 1 output based on the whether the direction of motor movement is cw or ccw? Will i be able to get this information in first one or two rotation of the motor once it starts rotating?

is there any chance of a false trigger based on the position from which the rotation of the disk starts wrt the led's and sensors? I mean irrespective from which ever stand still position the disk is at start with respect to the sensors the output of the d-flip flop should give correct trigger once the motor starts rotation..

i am interested in knowing the direction through external mechanism which does not interfere with the power supply to the motor...hence can do the power sensing per se...