DIP Lead straightener

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Anybody use one of these cheap DIP lead formers/straighteners or similar before?
http://www.all-spec.com/products/FT100.html

Do they work well?
I'm going to be inserting a bunch of 16 pin DIP opamps and thought it would really help during insertion.. I hate having to press them in pin by pin straightening as I go..

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I've used them and they work but it's usually enough to press all 8 pins down at once onto a flat worktop?
I'm all about speed man..speed..;) The one I linked to attaches right to the IC tube.. Slide it out with your finger right through the wheels and go.
Very glad to know they do work properly though.. I just talked to another person that said they work great too.. I'm buying it.. Can't go wrong for $30..

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I use an even cheaper type and it works really well, I have no idea why they don't bend them to the right shape before they package them.
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electron...330/?sid=faa05f19-643c-47c5-9e6a-644a09f4fac5
DIP leads are splayed (spread apart uniformly) to hold them in place for wave soldering. The auto-stuff machine slides over the leads to align them with the PCB holes when stuffing but there is enough springiness in the lead-form to cause the leads to spring out again and provide some grip to keep the DIP from floating out or being washed out of the holes when their underside is hit by the solder wave. It also helps keep the components in the board while its being moved about in the system.

As noted, I use the anti-static benchtop to roll the leads parallel for hand insertion but you can buy something like this as well. I DO like the gadget referenced above.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
For new ICs I roll them on the bench top.

For leads that get bent removing an IC from a socket (it could happen!). I use a pair of bent nose pliers

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It's just as easy and fast to use an IC insertion tool. The advantage is that the IC leads will still slightly spring outwards when you release them, and keep them snugly seated.

If I don't have an insertion tool handy, I'll roll them on the bench.