DIODE RESISTANCE-Urgent

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Is there a calculator available for determining the series resistance of the diode.(ie RS which is given in the data sheets)
If you are talking about the bulk resistance, you can calculate it if you measure the current through the diode and voltage across it. The voltage across the diode will be the sum of the junction voltage and the voltage across the bulk resistance. If you subtract the junction voltage (from the datasheet for a given current) from the voltage across the diode you will get the voltage across the bulk resistance. Then divide the voltage across the bulk resistance by the current through the diode to get the value if the bulk resistance.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
This specification seems to be more relevant for switching diodes. I attached a PDF for a switching diode that specifies the forward resistance.

Also, I've attached a paper that discusses a more complex diode model which includes series resistance and capacitive effects.

Attachments

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
The nomenclature can be confusing. It's difficult to be sure if everyone conforms to one standard that Rs is the bulk resistance and Rd the diode resistance. So far we see the following.

1. The BA846 data sheet says Rd is the forward resistance, which would seem to imply that bulk resistance is included. Granted it may be negligible, but still confusing.

2. The modeling paper I referenced uses Rs for the bulk resistance and Ri for the diode resistance.

3. Ron H. shows a reference with Rs the bulk resistance and Rd the diode resistance.

4. The OP is looking for the series resistance RS

It's difficult to be sure which spec the OP is looking to calculate, but hopefully he can figure it out from what is available. The paper I referenced gives a formula for the bulk resistance (Rs in that paper), but this depends on design parameters that may be unknown. The diode resistance is well known and the formula is commonly available and depends on current and temperature.