Diode Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyengineer

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I'm getting ready to do my first high voltage electricity experiment. All I want to do is get the voltage from a household wall outlet (I'm assuming 120v, current I don't know), feed the voltage to a strandard full wave rectification circuit and get a high dc voltage from it. The problem is I have no idea what type of diodes I should get. Does anyone have any recommendations?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
What is the maximum voltage the diodes need to withstand?

For mains applications 1N4005 - 1N4007 are suitable, with PIV's ranging from 600V to 1000V. 1N4004 is okay for 115V mains, but pushing it for 230V, as that is 325Vpk and 1N4001's are only rated to 400V.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Just go with 1n4007, they can handle just about anything.
If you need faster switching, go with uf4007, high voltage and ultra fast recovery, and they're a dime a dozen.

Also, mains rectification is not allowed on here according to the TOS, so this will probably be closed shortly.

soundman

Joined Dec 27, 2010
I think there is a restriction on questions concerning transformerless power supplies so your question may disappear on you. Look at the posting in this section by "Been There" regarding automotive modifications.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Amateurs/hobbyists should not experiment with direct mains power, as the likelihood of being the guest of honor at a funeral is quite high.

Always use an isolation transformer that is protected by a fuse, as that will limit the hazard at least somewhat.

With high voltage, even a few milliamperes through the torso can cause fatalities.

If you keep your experiments below 50v, your likelihood of survival increases dramatically.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It's the Terms of Service that won't let us discuss this - it's just too dangerous.
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.