1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) starting at 9:00 EDT for a number of hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

diode circuit

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by ramphisaj, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ramphisaj

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    i need help please see attachment.

2. hgmjr

Retired Moderator

Jan 28, 2005
    Is it possible that each of of the two circuits in question have a resistor between the junction of the diodes and the positive supply input?

If not, then the circuits as drawn, while doable, are not very realistic.

There is bound to be a diode or diodes destroyed in the circuits as drawn.

hgmjr

3. nomurphy

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 8, 2005
    IF you have rendered the schematics for this problem correctly, then I feel sorry for you, because it is a foolish scenario/question.

Assuming the diodes could somehow handle the current due to the voltage potentials, the answers are:
    1) +5V
    2) +15V

Because Vout is tied directly to the supply voltage(s) -- especially after the diodes burn up.

4. Johann

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 27, 2006
    I think your circuit needs a resistor between +5V and output. Then (and only then), this represents some form of diode logic circuit. In the first circuit (if a resistor is inserted between +5V and out), and assuming a volt drop of 0,7 volts per diode, the two diodes with +5V inputs will not be biassed at all and will have no effect, however, the two diodes with the -5V inputs will be forward biased. The output will then be 0,7V higher than the -5V, i.e. -4,3V.