Dinner Talk

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi everyone.

We need more happy talk for this time of year. :)

What are yous guys going to be having as part of your Christmas dinner this year? For a lot of people it is turkey, but more and more are choosing goose, duck, fish, anything.

We're going to be having turkey. And potatoes. And brussels. I like lots of brussels. :D

Anyhow...;)

Sparky

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
My favorite is turkey but my mother always makes ham and I go there for dinner. . I am hoping she will surprise me this year.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I like turkey white meat (not to dry) with cranberry sause or cranberries

cooked fresh with there sause. I put turkey and cranberry in the same bite.

Green beans,smashed potatoes with gravey, dressing...pumkin pie.

A good cup of coffee....egg nog......Claxton fruit cake,made in the south.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
undecided... my mom is flying in today. It was my grandma's birthday this week so I had some pork riblets and a few shots of cognac, her drink of choice yesterday.

I have never had turkey.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
My wife and I are having Christmas lunch tomorrow. She is cooking a turkey breast and southern style cornbread dressing with sage, plus some vegetables. I have a recipe for cranberry salad that I make from fresh cranberries, but we had it at Thanksgiving, and again last week at a dinner party, so I am skipping that for tomorrow. Just for the fun of it, here's the recipe. Nothing could be more off-topic at AAC than that. I may be the first recipe poster here. :)

Take 1 pound of fresh cranberries, washed, drained, and chopped small, (but not too small) and mix in 1 1/2 cups of sugar (I use Splenda.) Place that in the fridge overnight. Next, take two fresh, juicy oranges, and carefully extract the pulp from each segment, and without crushing the pulp, separate it into small chunks, and add it to the cranberry mixture. (If the oranges aren't juicy enough, add the juice from a third orange.)

Boil two cups of water, and mix in two small packages of raspberry Jello; stir until it is completely mixed and place in the fridge to chill.

Chop 1/4 cup of fresh pecans (or English walnuts) small (but not too small).

When the Jello mixture is chilled, add the cranberry/orange mixture and stir thoroughly. The add the chopped nuts evenly to the top layer, but don't stir them in. Place in the fridge and allow time (overnight, if possible) for the gelatin to firm up completely. I like to use a cut glass bowl for the salad; it's as pretty as it is tasty.

It's delicious with turkey or ham, and great for a snack during the football game.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Sparky, My heart go out to Holidays and meaning,I wish the same for the

lobster,have you ever looked into a lobster tank and wanted to set them all

free. It to cold to think about the lobster and he is quicker than me on most days.

My lucky day will come after New Years...on my list of things to do.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
lobster,have you ever looked into a lobster tank and wanted to set them all free.
YES! But it was not a good idea. They started running around the restaurant chasing people and then the manager was running around chasing ME!

Don't do it!
:D

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
My wife and I are having Christmas lunch tomorrow. She is cooking a turkey breast and southern style cornbread dressing with sage, plus some vegetables. I have a recipe for cranberry salad that I make from fresh cranberries, but we had it at Thanksgiving, and again last week at a dinner party, so I am skipping that for tomorrow. Just for the fun of it, here's the recipe. Nothing could be more off-topic at AAC than that. I may be the first recipe poster here. :)

Take 1 pound of fresh cranberries, washed, drained, and chopped small, (but not too small) and mix in 1 1/2 cups of sugar (I use Splenda.) Place that in the fridge overnight. Next, take two fresh, juicy oranges, and carefully extract the pulp from each segment, and without crushing the pulp, separate it into small chunks, and add it to the cranberry mixture. (If the oranges aren't juicy enough, add the juice from a third orange.)

Boil two cups of water, and mix in two small packages of raspberry Jello; stir until it is completely mixed and place in the fridge to chill.

Chop 1/4 cup of fresh pecans (or English walnuts) small (but not too small).

When the Jello mixture is chilled, add the cranberry/orange mixture and stir thoroughly. The add the chopped nuts evenly to the top layer, but don't stir them in. Place in the fridge and allow time (overnight, if possible) for the gelatin to firm up completely. I like to use a cut glass bowl for the salad; it's as pretty as it is tasty.

It's delicious with turkey or ham, and great for a snack during the football game.
What time should I show up? I'll bring the wine. :)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Well it will be pork rib on the 24. Then on the 25. it will be turkey. And on the 26. it will be this critter. I have shown this picture before. I took the fish in late August. And it has been in the deep freeze since then. You can not get wild trout this size in any shop.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
A very nice catch.

Reminds me of the Artic Char I caught on Attu Island in a little stream. Fishing pressure on that island was a few of the 25 person crew annually.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
We are having our traditional American Christmas dinner (probably roast beef and ham + dressings, starches, veggies, pies, etc.) on the 28th because that is when my brother will be able to come home on leave. Didn't feel right not doing anything on the 25th, so my wife is making a big Filipino dinner (Lumpia, stir-fry, kaldereta). Also opening some presents on both days so the kids feel like they get 2 Christmases.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Well it will be pork rib on the 24. Then on the 25. it will be turkey. And on the 26. it will be this critter. I have shown this picture before. I took the fish in late August. And it has been in the deep freeze since then. You can not get wild trout this size in any shop.
Where did you catch it?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi everyone.

We need more happy talk for this time of year. :)

What are yous guys going to be having as part of your Christmas dinner this year? For a lot of people it is turkey, but more and more are choosing goose, duck, fish, anything.

We're going to be having turkey. And potatoes. And brussels. I like lots of brussels. :D

Anyhow...;)

Sparky
We're going to pretend to be Jewish and go to a Chinese restaurant....;)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I was out to dinner and someone ask the waiter if the steak was from a dead

cow. The waiter didn't know what to say,caught him off guard about the dead meat.