dimmer switch wired for two shutoffs

bobby ball

Joined Sep 7, 2011
hello having a little difficulty with a recess light switch. the regular on/off switch on one wall dimmer on another. reg. switch has two red on one side and black at top opp.red. the dimmer has red black and white . thought i had it but can't get the dimmer to to work right because lights are on go to dimmer and already shut off so cant turn lights off from both sides of room. if someone can answer this please do thanks in advance.:eek:

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
As mcgyvr stated, both switches must be a 3-way switch type. It sounds like your dimmer is not a 3-way switch but a single pole switch that requires a neutral.

If this is in a house, the red and black wires opposite of each other on the regular switch are most likely your "travelers" that go from one 3-way to the next. The other red wire is either the "hot" or the "switch leg".

If you can take a couple of pictures of the switches, switch boxes, and/or the wiring we may be able to provide some better assistance. Perhaps a model number of the dimmer as well.

bobby ball

Joined Sep 7, 2011
Yup!!! that's all it was needed the three way dimmer works great. i know it was a hard question on a computer but a easy elec. question . THANKS

what makes it harder is me explaining. Thanks again.

just makes me wonder what the last homeowner did with the wiring. oh well, oh well!!!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Amateur (home owner) wiring mistakes help keep me in business! There are an incredible number of ways to do it "wrong" and home owners are a rich source of these mistakes.