digital project

Thomas.R

Joined Aug 16, 2007
hallo,

I need to make a project for school as i am following evening classes. It has to contain digital building blocks. Anyone a good suggestion?

Thomas

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
You have an eight position rotary switch (why not?), and each position is numbered 1 thru 8. Whichever position the switch is in, you display that number on a 7-segment display. So, position one, the display shows 1; position two, display is 2; etc.

Do not use zero as a position, nor display a 0 (or anything else that is not 1-8).

If you want a little more challenge, try a nine position switch.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
A digital potentiometer consists of two main parts: quadrature decoder and a binary counter. The binary counter's output is sent to some transistor buffers and some relays, the relays will form a linear branch of resistance with pre-calculated values.

I did this for a friend once who thought regular potentiometers weren't good enough and were too noisy for his audiophile taste.. We changed the lookup tables to give a logarithmic response, since the linear was really silly.. Of course, I used a microcontroller, but it would be fun to do with gates.

Steve