Digital Piano Stopped Digitizing ...

hairy turtle

Joined Feb 19, 2013
My 20 year old Technics/Panasonic digital piano decided to take a break and although the little red light (on the front) lights up, all other functions have ceased.

Before removing the individual boards, I did a quick visual inspection and there are no obvious visual signs of a problem. The tops of the capacitors looked normal. I ran a voltage check and power enters the backside of the unit at 115v then travels to the transformer??? and exits at 19.6v where it enters the light colored board which I assume is the amplifier board.

I'm not too e-savvy beyond this and will ultimately need to take the boards to a wizard. What I am is very careful and know the fundamentals of the e-world (I assemble all my own computers and have managed to do some basic re-soldering of tv circuit boards, etc).

Beyond that, I just wanted to get some expert advice on what to try next and was wondering if that 19.6v sounds correct. If that sounds about right ... what next. Thank you all in advance!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
First things first.
Give us the Model Number.
Search for the schematic or Service Manual.

There are a lot of brown froth on the AC input board and under the power supply capacitors.
You need to look more closely at that.

hairy turtle

Joined Feb 19, 2013
Yeah, noticed that too and most of the capacitors did seem to be oozing but I thought it was just some form of glue ... feel like such an e-noob.