digital oscilloscope for begginer

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys

I want to get an get a digital oscilloscope for myself, I am a student so I am looking for a budget one.

It will be used for MCUs, digital circuit etc.

I am intended to get a Rigol DS1052E, because its price can fit into my budget, if I really have to I will consider Rigol DS1102E too.

what do you think of these two equipment?

Zhuhua

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
thanks, does it suitable for digital/MCU type of work? I have been to that blog and what the video, it's a great vblog btw

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Yep they're good. There's also a couple other decent manufacturers. GWInstek is good. Owon and Hantek make the occasional good scope but you gotta read your reviews before you get one of those.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
I was informed in another forum that a logic analyzer is better if it's intended digital type of work (which I am looking at), here is the link to the other forum (AVR Freak).

And it also links to some pretty good explanation about digital scope for beginner(mainly rigol ds1052E), if anyone (beginner) interested, good to have a look at the link

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
While it is true that a logic analyzer can come in handy when needed, my choice would be for a good oscilloscope for starting off. I do not have and have never used a logic analyzer.

I would say a 100MHz Rigol DS1052E at that price seems like a darn good deal. The only other option is to look for a used scope.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Thanks MrChips, after reading all the stuff, I have decided to get a scope first :D

While it is true that a logic analyzer can come in handy when needed, my choice would be for a good oscilloscope for starting off. I do not have and have never used a logic analyzer.

I would say a 100MHz Rigol DS1052E at that price seems like a darn good deal. The only other option is to look for a used scope.