Digital IR sensor

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Not sure what you mean by "digital" and "IR" since the terms can be fitted to a wide variety of things. An IR sensor probably starts out analog since all of the detectors I have been able to think of are analog in nature. The question after that is how you turn that analog information into digital and how you want the digital information encoded or displayed.

You could simple connect a photocell or solar cell to a digital voltmeter and set the voltmeter of the current scale -expect something in the range of up to microamps to several milliamps for solar cells an area of about that of a U.S. quarter, depending upon the fabrication method and the output of the IR light source.

You can see the response of a typical solar cell at this URL:
http://www.kellerstudio.de/repairfaq/sam/sipdresp.gif

The web page upon which it is found may also be helpful:
http://www.kellerstudio.de/repairfaq/sam/laserioi.htm

varunme

Joined Sep 29, 2011
can we make digital output from the sensor (1 and 0) than just analogue voltages by using opamp or something ?
because i want to just turn on a port off a port using the sensor , just as using a push button

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
can we make digital output from the sensor (1 and 0) than just analogue voltages by using opamp or something ?
because i want to just turn on a port off a port using the sensor , just as using a push button
IR Receivers have a decoder built in, so they output pulses corresponding to the IR signal.

I'd strongly recommend against turning something on or off based on the leading edge of any IR signal that the detector gives on the output.

TV remotes send many pulses for different channels and functions, which would cause your circuit to turn on and off very quickly.

In addition, requiring a certain sequence of IR pulses, say VOL+ then 5 then 4 on a TV keypad to turn the power off would eliminate unintended power state changes from any remote. Using a single character leaves a lot of options for accidental triggering.

Something like a large logic circuit with flip flops, or a microcontroller running behind the IR Receiver to put out a logic high after the correct sequence is received.

varunme

Joined Sep 29, 2011
Last edited: