Digital Input to Electrical Output

aschneider19

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I need to find some sort of chip that can be programmed to take digital input values in order to output a few volts on different pins. Any ideas of a simple chip that can be used for this? I would need 3 digital inputs tied to 3 outputs.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I need to find some sort of chip that can be programmed to take digital input values in order to output a few volts on different pins. Any ideas of a simple chip that can be used for this? I would need 3 digital inputs tied to 3 outputs.
A little more information, what is desired nature of the output? Various analogue etc?
What are they driving?
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Almost any MCU can do that. The 12Fxxx chips have 5 i/o pins and 1 input only pin which should suffice. If you go that route, I would suggest the 12F1840 (and related) chips. If you want/need more pins, the 16F1829 and related will give that.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Almost any MCU can do that. The 12Fxxx chips have 5 i/o pins and 1 input only pin which should suffice. If you go that route, I would suggest the 12F1840 (and related) chips. If you want/need more pins, the 16F1829 and related will give that.
But analogue output?
Max.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
What do you see as a difference between a digital input and an output based on that?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Do you know what a DAC is? It’s a digital to analog converter. There are many chips available to do that which will show up in a simple search for “DAC” or “digital to analog converter”. If accuracy is not critical in your application, then a simple resistor ladder will do it for you. Search for “R2R Ladder”...

With the information you supplied, I can’t get more specific than that.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
You said "digital input values", does that mean a numeric input number
or just a 1-0 logic state ? Each V out dependent on only one digital input
or all 3 inputs ?

Voltages on 3 pins, all get the same analog V or different V's ? What are the
V values you trying to generate, the actual V for each of the 3 V pins out ?

Accuracy of the voltage ouputs ? Load you will apply to analog V output,
is it hi impedance or low and you need it buffered ?

Regards, Dana.

Last edited: