Digital Electric motor controller

CrazeUK

Joined Feb 4, 2010
Hi Guys

I am a quite a noob to Electornics, i was good a long time ago!

I am not sure if this is the right section of the forum to ask for this sort of help but here goes.

I am wanting to buy an electronic Linear Actuator that has a 8 - 12" stroke, that can do about 300 strokes a min (max).
It doesn't need to move much weight but anything up to 2KG would be good.

For this i am wanting to control the actuator, but will have a constant thusting motion

The motion will be a constant thrusting.

The controller needs to be able to control the length of the thrust as well as the number of strokes a min.

The length of movement doesn't have to be exact as it can be visually controlled to the required movement this is also the case for the speed.

It would be ok for these to be controlled by a twistable knob (variable resistor maybe) or a Digital controller dependant on cost.

I am presuming the controller basically needs to control the speed of the Motor, and its direction.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You can find linear actuators in that length range that will move 9" to 19" per second, but that's 1/5 the speed that you are looking for.

You should take a look at using a motor with a speed reduction unit (geared or belts/pulleys) attached to a plate that has an adjustable offset crank pin. The crank pin on the rotating plate can have a connecting rod, which will convert the rotary motion to a push-pull motion.

If you really want a linear actuator, you'll have to look at pneumatic cylinders instead, and you will need a high-capacity compressor to keep the air pressure up.

That's just the actuator itself.

CrazeUK

Joined Feb 4, 2010
You can find linear actuators in that length range that will move 9" to 19" per second, but that's 1/5 the speed that you are looking for.

You should take a look at using a motor with a speed reduction unit (geared or belts/pulleys) attached to a plate that has an adjustable offset crank pin. The crank pin on the rotating plate can have a connecting rod, which will convert the rotary motion to a push-pull motion.

If you really want a linear actuator, you'll have to look at pneumatic cylinders instead, and you will need a high-capacity compressor to keep the air pressure up.

That's just the actuator itself.
Hi Thanks for your response. I did think of the motor with a circular disc, but the adjustment would then have to be manual, also the profile would be a quite big.

Hmm back to the drawing board for me :S