Digital Clock

rpinnint

Joined Nov 11, 2008
I need to Design a digital clock for my Project that shows minutes, hours, AM/PM and days of the week.
  • Minutes and Hours displayed on seven segment displays
  • The days of the week and AM/PM displayed on individual LED's
Can anyone give me an idea of how to start and method. I really appretiate your help. I need to submit it in a week.

Thanks.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Perhaps if you could post up a more complete set of specifications for the clock, we could be more helpful. Is it the capacitors or the resistors that are not allowed?

ad8bc

Joined Oct 30, 2008
I like this article at HowStuffWorks.com: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/digital-clock.htm

It will give you the basics on creating a timing circuit that you can improve upon to build a clock.

The power supply circuit with the 5.1V zener diode that creates a TTL-level 60Hz squarish-wave is really neat, I built it this past weekend for the heck of it and it works nicely and will give you a nice timebase to work with.

rpinnint

Joined Nov 11, 2008
Thanks for the help guys.. Both the capacitors and Resistors are not allowed. My Instructor is saying to use any TTL IC chips

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Interesting, did he have any advice as to how to handle the display, oscillator, and power supply? You'll note Bill Bowden's device uses TTL chips, so you have a good starting point. As to the rest, you'll just have to convert one logic type to another.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Yes, I think you might want to check as to where it is forbidden to use passive components. Think there might be some clarification on that issue.