Digital Circuit Design - three inputs and one output

curtiscranford

Joined Oct 19, 2016
Inputs A,B,C, then three NOT gates A, A Not, B, B Not, C, C not, first top gate AND A and B Not, Next down 2 input OR Gate A+C, the next down 2 input AND Gate, A Not B, third gate down 3 input OR gate A, B Not, C Not.

Next two gates a tow input NOR Gate Inputs are A B Not, ANDed with A+C, the next gate down a two input AND Gate A Not B Anded with A Not+B+C are fed into a two input OR Gate , What is the original expression, and what is the simplified output of the final 2 input OR Gate?

upload_2017-5-27_20-59-43.png

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Is my assignment open book?
How much will this assignment count toward my final grade?
Do I need to show my work or just put the answer down?

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Working homework is NOT acceptable in this forum.
You could have avoided dealing with these vultures who want to grab credit for doing your homework if instead you drew the circuit using the free software program Logisim (distributed as a .jar file). Then switch to the Combinational Analysis window Expression tab to get the original logic expression, or to the Minimized tab to have Logisim draw the Karnaugh Map and provide the minimized Boolean result.
Cranford_Logic_Cir.png
Cranford_Logic_mCir.png

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You could have avoided dealing with these vultures who want to grab credit for doing your homework if instead you drew the circuit using the free software program Logisim (distributed as a .jar file). Then switch to the Combinational Analysis window Expression tab to get the original logic expression, or to the Minimized tab to have Logisim draw the Karnaugh Map and provide the minimized Boolean result.
It's the exact same effect. The TS would be turning in work that they have no clue how to do. Not only are they still claiming credit for work performed by someone else (the person that wrote the analyzer), but worse they don't learn how to work with Boolean logic beyond letting some tool do their thinking for them.

Of course, they don't even need to do that since you have, yet once again, worked their problem for them so that they can just take the answer in your post, tack it to the bottom of their homework, and turn it in. It's a shame you aren't going to be there to hold their hand and do their work for them when they take their exam or go for that job interview.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I say those who desire to cheat be allowed to do so.

They may consider the cost of the education they avoided to be too much, when, they fail to get a job, or get fired because they do not know the requisite skill.

It's their money. Let them waste it whenever they want to. :)

JG Wentworth gave me the idea. :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I say those who desire to cheat be allowed to do so.

They may consider the cost of the education they avoided to be too much, when, they fail to get a job, or get fired because they do not know the requisite skill.

It's their money. Let them waste it whenever they want to. :)

JG Wentworth gave me the idea. :)

Would you say the same thing about people that cheat in medical school? Just wait until they get fired because they don't have the requisite skills to do the job and just live with the consequences in the meantime?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Straw man argument.

They go from medical school to internship in a hospital or other care facility and are graded and tested almost daily.

My uncle is a surgeon. A cheating doctor wouldn't make it as far as treating a real patient. He would be weeded out long before that.

Participation tropheys ALL AROUND. :)
Everybody gets one.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Okay, then it's even more to the point because many engineering students that cheat DO get through school, DO get jobs, and DO work on projects that affect real people in real ways BEFORE they get fired. There is not an internship that weeds them out long before they get to that point.

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
It's the exact same effect. The TS would be turning in work that they have no clue how to do.
When you have a real job, every test is open-book and use of CAD tools is encouraged for reasons of efficiency and accuracy. An engineer is expected to be proficient in the use of automation support (and not much work is expected to be completed when the power goes out). The truly clueless are those who work with pencil & paper.
Not only are they still claiming credit for work performed by someone else (the person that wrote the analyzer), but worse they don't learn how to work with Boolean logic beyond letting some tool do their thinking for them.
Letting some tool do your 'thinking', i.e. drudge work, gives you an advantage in the workplace. The ability to use such analyzers makes you a more valuable employee than the truly clueless (see above).

I found the following paper in the IEEE Digital Library, Published in: Circuits and Systems, 1996., IEEE 39th Midwest symposium on, from Dept. of Electr. Eng., Santa Clara Univ., titled: "Computer Aided Design Perspective of Advanced Logic Design".
Abstract: "This paper describes a novel approach to teaching an advanced logic design course at the undergraduate level. The emphasis is on the use of different CAD tools as (1) a vehicle to accelerate the student learning, (2) a means to demonstrate design approaches and implementations, (3) an instrument to measure circuit parameters, and (4) an opportunity to prepare the students for their careers. Course assessment through examination results and course evaluation indicates that the CAD tools have helped clarify and reinforce the concepts learned in the lectures and have aided the student ability to incorporate the algorithmic nature CAD tools in their design process."
Introduction: "With increasing complexity of ASIC circuits CAD tools have become critical to completing a design within a reasonable time. Unless such tools are part of the digital design courses the students are at a disadvantage when they join the workforce. The corollary is also true. That is, CAD tools are becoming an important part of understanding digital design. ..."
Of course, they don't even need to do that since you have, yet once again, worked their problem for them so that they can just take the answer in your post, tack it to the bottom of their homework, and turn it in.
I did no such thing. What I did was to draw the circuit image already provided by the TS and post the file (because the worst introduction to Logisim is a blank window). I did show the analyzer result for the original Boolean expression; however, that is trivial to accomplish manually once the rat's nest of input wiring is sorted out. Also, did anyone clue the TS that the simple method to obtain the original expression is to work from the output back to the inputs? What I did not do is provide the important answer to the homework problem- the minimized Boolean expression.
It's a shame you aren't going to be there to hold their hand and do their work for them when they take their exam or go for that job interview.
It would be a shame if the purpose of education were to teach a student to take exams, rather than how to earn a living. And when they go for that job interview, it is quite possible they will be competing against candidates who are already well versed in the use of computer-aided design tools and thus seen as more valuable to their potential employer.

curtiscranford

Joined Oct 19, 2016
Okay, then it's even more to the point because many engineering students that cheat DO get through school, DO get jobs, and DO work on projects that affect real people in real ways BEFORE they get fired. There is not an internship that weeds them out long before they get to that point.