Digital Camcorder

majorpayne

Joined May 29, 2011
I am planning to begin a very complex project: to build a functional high quality digital camcorder. I am planning on using a Kodak CCD as the image sensor, and then the rest i'm still learning about. For the AFE i was planning on going with the ad9845bjstz from analog devices (http://uk.farnell.com/analog-device...-processor-12bti-lfcsp/dp/1319484?Ntt=AD9845B). Now I'm not sure what MCU would be fast enough to process this information, would any of the Atmel ones, like a ATMega32, work? and i've read about people using PLD's in conjunction with and even in replacement of the MCU. I understand that I would also need to add some external SRAM.
My biggest issue is the conversion of the digitized CCD data from the AFE into a movie file(Jpeg or png sequence). Would the ATMega32 be able to be programmed to do that and write to an SD card?

Advice would be greatly appreciated and have I missed any major concepts or components so far?

Thanks!
Tyler

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I am planning ... to build a functional high quality digital camcorder.
Sorry I have nothing to offer, but I'm curious why anyone would embark on such a challenge, when you can buy such a device (an HD camcorder) for under $100. Your project makes more sense than, say, all the over-unity projects on which people spend their precious time. But is there some custom thing you hope to accomplish, or some reason you choose to MAKE instead of BUY? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just perplexed. And maybe you'll get better help here if folks better understand your goals.