digital base band transmission vs digital passband transmission

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Have you even TRIED to find the answer?

http://bfy.tw/Cnz1
I really appreciate that link but I know where it is going to end and it won't help me. I already tried to google a lot of different terms. If I have found the differences I wouldn't ask for help here!

Anyway, thanks for replying, but unfortunately it was not of much help!

Unfortunately, lately, my questions always turn out empty!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Well, based on all of your Googling, can you describe ANY difference between a baseband single and a passband signal?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Well, based on all of your Googling, can you describe ANY difference between a baseband single and a passband signal?
After digging a lot about it, because there is no site that states clearly the differences, baseband transmissions have no carrier and in passband transmissions, the original signal is centered in n higher frequency, the carrier.

Then there are implications in bit rates and bit error rates and also the symbol rates and symbol error rates!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You've got the main difference.

But I have a real hard time agreeing with the claim that, "there is no site that states clearly the differences".

Did you even look at the links I provided to you? Or did you just "know" "where it is going to end and it won't help me."

If you had actually looked, you would have seen the fourth item on the list was a pdf titled, "Baseband vs. Passband Communications Systems".

Seem's like a pretty promising title to me.

Opening it up, the very first paragraph is:

"Communication systems can be classified into two groups depending on the range of frequencies they use to transmit information. These communication systems are classified into BASEBAND or PASSBAND system. Baseband transmission sends the information signal as it is without modulation (without frequency shifting) while passband transmission shifts the signal to be transmitted in frequency to a higher frequency and then transmits it, where at the receiver the signal is shifted back to its original frequency. "

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
I think that paragraph says the same difference that I stated, no? I have Google some combinations of words to try to find something satisfactory before coming here! and for some reason I saw that link but didn't open it. Though I have opened others but they would have a clear, straight difference statement! They either described one or the other and stated some parameters and proprieties but not clearly the differences and in what situations one is better than the other, etc etc!

Anyway, I got it by now! Going to have exam in a couple of hours!