differnece between inverting and non-inverting

nepdeep

Joined Sep 14, 2011
A lot of times...I have heard people saying not a lot of difference between inverting and non-inverting except for thing like bandwidth of non-inverting is more than the inverting amplifier....i see the major difference...-ve and the +ve output...or does it not matter ....for example...if we use inverting adder...the output is -ve..or if we use inverting buffer output is -ve...what is the use of having inverting buffer...??
could you please clarify??

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
There are LOTS of uses for inverting buffers. How much time do you have? Ok, let's say you want an LED to illuminate using a low-side switch when an input signal goes to zero. So, you connect the input of the switch to an inverting buffer, and when the input is zero, the switch is activated. You can make up more examples on your own. Also, input impedance, output impedance, bandwidth, offset, etc. are influenced by the amp topology.

Last edited:

nepdeep

Joined Sep 14, 2011
There are LOTS of uses for inverting buffers. How much time do you have? Ok, let's say you want an LED to illuminate using a low-side switch when an input signal goes to zero. So, you connect the input of the switch to an inverting buffer, and when the input is zero, the switch is activated. You can make up more examples on your own. Also, input impedance, output impedance, bandwidth, offset, etc. are influenced by the amp topology.
I meant buffer not inverter....as far as i think you suggested me about the inverter...0-1 or 1-0 but in I meant about the opamps...like 2 to -2 or 3 to -3...etc...where do we use the inverted output like -3...in practical...

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A major reason for the inverting configuration is that it makes a summing amplifier that has no interaction between the various inputs. Also it works well as a near ideal integrator.

The non-inverting amplifier has interaction between inputs if you try to use it as a summing amp and it does not make an ideal integrator.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
A major reason for the inverting configuration is that it makes a summing amplifier that has no interaction between the various inputs. Also it works well as a near ideal integrator.

The non-inverting amplifier has interaction between inputs if you try to use it as a summing amp and it does not make an ideal integrator.
Hola crutschow.

I think I understand the first but could you please elaborate on the second?

Gracias.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The basic difference is that a non-inverting amplifier has 0° phase change
and a inverting amplifier has a 180° phase change.

Bertus

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Hola crutschow.

I think I understand the first but could you please elaborate on the second?

Gracias.
In a non-inverting amp, the summing is done at the positive input, which is not a virtual ground point, it varies with any input voltage. Thus any signal voltage at that point will be seen by all inputs connecting to that point if there is more than one input. Thus the interaction between inputs.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In a non-inverting amp, the summing is done at the positive input, which is not a virtual ground point, it varies with any input voltage. Thus any signal voltage at that point will be seen by all inputs connecting to that point if there is more than one input. Thus the interaction between inputs.
So simple...and I had to ask. Sorry.

Thanks.

timescope

Joined Dec 14, 2011
Here is a link to a brief comparison of noise, distortion and the effects of the common mode rejection ratio (CMRR) for the inverting and non-inverting configurations.
Technote 3
Timescope