Different version of boost 12vdc to 36vdc

BigDisme

Joined Jan 16, 2014
Hello, I am a new member and need some help.

I read an old post on boosting 12vdc to 35vdc, but I could not post a reply because the post was too old, so I have made a new post.

I also need to boost 12vdc to 36vdc, but for a different reason. I was given a 36vdc flashing safety light that was originally made for a fork truck (fork lift) and it is brand new.

I want to use if when I haul long objects (lumber etc.) in a two wheel trailer for safety purposes. I will mount it on the back of the trailer and power it from my 12v pickup. According to the mfg. it will draw 0.75 amp. at 36v.

I have searched the net for a converter or inverter and no matter how I describe wanting to convert 12vdc to 36vdc output, I keep getting dozens of "convert 36vdc to 12vdc" replies.

As noted above, this is for occasional use only, so I don't want to get a lot of $ tied up in this.

Can anyone help me?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
At those power ratings it would be difficult to find an inexpensive solution.
The only solution I can think of would be to have three 12V SLAB handy in the pickup for this purpose.

Or to find a 12VDC safety light instead.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I've got parts on order for a safety strobe light that I'm repairing for a friend.

If yours is similar, in that it's wide open inside. (un-potted and marked)

It should be hackable.

The main function is a dc to dc converter.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013

Attachments

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Given your low power requirement the easiest and cheapest way to make it work will likely be to put a pair of small 12 volt batteries in series with your vehicle power and run it that way..

The only other options I found on line are dedicated DC -DC converter units which for bossing 12 VDC to 36 VDC cost around $100 which is more than what a off the shelf 12 volt powered strobe light can be bought for.

Other than that either hacking your existing unit or building your own booster is all that's left.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I go for trying to determine why the unit requires 36v. There may be a DC-DC converter inside or a power regulator. Maybe the lamps are 36v and swapping them for 12v lamps are all that is necessary. The 36v requirement may only be an artifact from the fact that these were run on a fork lift.

Ask yourself why?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Also, have you tested it on 12VDC? I see many fork lift safety beacons online that run over a range of voltages; from 10 - 80 VDC.

Can you identify a manufacturer and model # on the unit?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hello, I am a new member and need some help.

I read an old post on boosting 12vdc to 35vdc, but I could not post a reply because the post was too old, so I have made a new post.

I also need to boost 12vdc to 36vdc, but for a different reason. I was given a 36vdc flashing safety light that was originally made for a fork truck (fork lift) and it is brand new.

I want to use if when I haul long objects (lumber etc.) in a two wheel trailer for safety purposes. I will mount it on the back of the trailer and power it from my 12v pickup. According to the mfg. it will draw 0.75 amp. at 36v.

I have searched the net for a converter or inverter and no matter how I describe wanting to convert 12vdc to 36vdc output, I keep getting dozens of "convert 36vdc to 12vdc" replies.

As noted above, this is for occasional use only, so I don't want to get a lot of $ tied up in this.

Can anyone help me?
With losses, this is about a 30W boost converter. You can probably build one that can do this using one of the simple switcher products made by TI and various companies. You may find one at ebay or online somewhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Converte...183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dbe3ae77

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-4-5-3...061?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2585030ebd