Different boards in TV's ???

SteveDouglas

Joined Apr 30, 2009
I was talking with a guy who works for a small "mom n pop" TV store a few days ago and he said that the TV's they sell are different than the exact same model number TV's in places like Best Buy and Walmart.

That is, say I go to Walmart and buy a Samsung UN55D7900XF TV (for example), and I also go to his store and buy a Samsung UN55D7900XF TV from him, the one from his store has either a different board or the same board but with higher quality components on that board and therfore it will last longer. And he says the only way to know this is by looking at the product code on the TV.

Now this sounds like absolute BS to me but I'd like to hear what you guys think about this. Is this at all possible ???

Thanks for any info or opinions,

Steve

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Yeah, that sets off my BS meter. High volume production requires a constant flow of parts. The price difference is most likely due to purchasing volumes. The mom and pop store can possibly offer better service, if required, after the purchase.
This is my opinion. I have no facts to back it up.:rolleyes:

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Unless the guy recapped the entire TV (replaced all the capacitors) I call bull.

What's the price difference anyway... for about 10% extra I would probably support my local store.