Difference btwn branch and mesh

Nathan Hale

Joined Oct 28, 2011
Hi guys, does anyone know where do mesh current method and branch current method differ? I am very good at branch current method thank heaven but was wondering if i could continue my school work by not knowing mesh current method. where do you think i might get stuck knowing branch only but not mesh. thank you.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
If you are good at branch, it is probably enough. However, I find mesh analysis much easier and more efficient when analyzing circuits with more than 2 loops.

disclaimer: I do could not understand branch very well when I was learning it. Mesh was much easier to apply.

Last edited:
The branch current method (BCM) presented here will not be found in any of the current introductory circuits textbooks. Introductory circuits textbooks teach mesh analysis which utilizes fictitious loop currents and is limited to planar circuits (circuits that can be drawn in two dimensions with no over- lapping wires). The branch current method (BCM) utilizes physical currents and has no restrictions for its application. The procedure is completely general, and requires the minimum amount of work to solve a given problem for an unknown current.

& this about mesh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_analysis