difference between diffusion and ion Implantation

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
I am little bit confused What is diffusion ,Ion Implantation in wafer fabrication
I tried this
Ion Implantation is process by which ion of material are accelerated in electric field and placed into wafer

diffusion is process by which impurity introduced into wafer surface

doping - adding impurity into wafer surface

I don't understand what is difference between doping diffusion and ion Implantation?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If he can type the English word in a question to us he can type the same word into a search engine. As an added benefit many of the wiki articles that we read in English are also available in other languages. Look at the pattern and realize that the path of least resistance involves minimal effort on the OPs part. Effort and industry go a long way toward learning what you need to learn.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The pattern I was trying to suggest is that when you type a word or phrase into a search engine the #1 hit produced by the search engine is often a reasonably detailed article with references on the subject in question. I would further suggest that as your store of knowledge increases that using this as a learning tool has numerous advantages. If you come to us and say, explain everything about "X" to me, we don't know what you do and don't know. If you say, I read the wiki on "X" and I don't understand paragraph 3, that is a very different situation.

ESL is an acronym for "English as a Second Language". In many American Graduate Schools there is an examination that is required to test your proficiency in English as a prerequisite to getting a graduate degree from that American University. I'm not sure it applies in your case, since both the United States and India are former British colonies, it is plausible that English is in fact your first language; but we really don't know.

I checked the wiki on "Diffusion" and it can be rendered in different languages with a click on the language in the left hand column.

Last edited:

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
The pattern I was trying to suggest is that when you type a word or phrase into a search engine the #1 hit produced by the search engine is often a reasonably detailed article with references on the subject in question. I would further suggest that as your store of knowledge increases that using this as a learning tool has numerous advantages. If you come to us and say, explain everything about "X" to me, we don't know what you do and don't know. If you say, I read the wiki on "X" and I don't understand paragraph 3, that is a very different situation.

ESL is an acronym for "English as a Second Language". In many American Graduate Schools there is an examination that is required to test your proficiency in English as a prerequisite to getting a graduate degree from that American University. I'm not sure it applies in your case, since both the United States and India are former British colonies, it is plausible that English is in fact your first language; but we really don't know.

I checked the wiki on "Diffusion" and it can be rendered in different languages with a click on the language in the left hand column.
sorry sir but I am not asking for everything
I read but I didn't understand the difference so I asked here

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You have the ion implantation part down.

For diffusion modes, usually mocvd or PVD processes are used.

MOCVD process (metal organic chemical vapor deposition)
Diffusion is usually a process where organometallic chemicals are vaporized and then, either a) the vapor is super-heated (less common), or
B) the wafer is very hot in a high vacuum and the organometallic compound decomposes onto the wafer (more common).

The phrase "organometallic" is loosely defined by the electronics industry and it can mean organo-boron, organo-phosphorus, or most any other non-carbon/non-oxygen and non-hydrogen element. Nitrogen is also introduced as a dopant but there are many inorganic volatile nitrogen-containing gases so they are not usually referred to as organometallic.

Physical vapor deposition (PVD)
Is simply vaporizing an element and allowing the element to condense onto certain places of the substrate (photomasks are used).

Look up, physical vapor deposition, chemical vapor deposition

Recently, ALD is becoming popular (atomic layer deposition). Look that one up and get back to me if needed. More chemistry than I care to describe without graphics.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Diffusion is one method of doping.
Ion implantation is another method of doping.
Ion Implantation is process used to create surface region of dopant atom deposited into silicon surface

diffusion is process by which amount of impurity introduced on silicon wafer

both definitions are correct ?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
No. Diffusion and ion implantation are two methods for achieving the same thing, i.e. to introduce impurities into the wafer.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
after some reading i wrote this definitions
look at this Is it correct

Ion implantation and diffusion both process is used to add impurity into wafer surface

Diffusion is process by which atom of material are deposited on to the surface of wafer at high temperature

Movement of atom form source to wafer at high temperature

Ion implantation is process by which ion of material deposited on to wafer surface

Ion of material accelerate in electric field and deposited into wafer surface

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Think of it this way:

diffusion: Smear something on your skin and let it soak in.

implantation: Have someone fire a shotgun at you.