Difference between AND Gate and OR Gate.

jacques

Joined Nov 26, 2012
Last night i was busy to solve the electronic related question but on a crucial stage gone little bit confused that what the major difference between "AND GATE and "OR GATE" If anyone knows the answer of this question then please suggest me.

An AND gate will only be HIGH at the output if both the inputs are HIGH. An OR gate on the other and will produce HIGH at the output if either or both of the inputs are HIGH.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Think of how the words are used in everyday usage.

I have a gate and have designed it such that the output will be HI only if Input A is HI and Input B is HI.

I have another gate and have designed it such that the output will be HI if either Input A is HI or Input B is HI.

Now I'm looking for a simply name for these two gates. What would you suggest?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The name of the second gate depends on one last characteristic. Would it also be HI if both A and B are HI or only when one of the two inputs are HI?

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
The name of the second gate depends on one last characteristic. Would it also be HI if both A and B are HI or only when one of the two inputs are HI?
One or the other but not both is exclusive OR. One or the other or both is inclusive OR.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
No. The desciption was deliberately unambiguous. There is only one way to interpret "will be HI if either Input A is HI or Input B is HI." The "either" excludes the possibility of "but not both" unless it is explicity stated. For the exclusive-OR to be a reasonable interpretation in a prose statement generally requires the context to be such that the inclusive-OR is not a reasonable interpretation.