Did my car erase my Cd's?

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
I know this sounds like baloney, but here we go:

I burnt three CDs on August 23, 2009. I play these CDs every time I drive the car (been playing these exclusively in my car, a 2005 Crossfire Roadster with the factory AM/FM/CD player/Navigation system. I've owned the car 10 weeks.)

Ok, so last weekend, I put one of the CD's in --- Came up "Disc Error". Tried another one, same thing.

Tried a store-bought Taylor Swift Cd - played fine. Tried the third CD I burnt, played fine.

Ok, so tonight I grabbed the three Burnt CDs. The two of them that would not play are BLANKS now!

No kidding - On my laptop, WINDOWS (XP Pro) and Media Player sees them as BLANKS!

I have NEVER heard of a CD erasing itself - or a player erasing them! My CDs are labeled: "Memorex, 52X, 700 MB, CD-R" and I get them at Office Max. What's going on here?

Can a player erase them? Now, when I burn a CD, I can see the "tint" of the CD change, that is, I can see the program material in the grooves of the CD - but the two suspect CD's LOOK like blanks now!

HOW CAN THIS BE?

(And I dont' drink, smoke odd plants or live in a mental institution - just to clarify! ;) )

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Nope, blank they may be, but not because of your car.

Are they rewritables?

My first suspect is sunlight (and heat) damaging them.

WORM CDs (Write Once Read Many) have a ultra thin layer of aluminum that the burn laser punches holes into. I'm a little murky on rewritables, I think it involves a liquid dye, but that could be balonie.

Try writing to the blanks, betcha they are dudes now.

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
I am gonna try writing to them tonight! ;)

They are not re-writeable - they are "CD-R" 's.

The car stays in the garage and the CD's in the center console - this car is a "Garage Princess" and isn't even driven in the rain (cause it'll make the engine compartment dirty!) I HAVE had it in the sunlight with the top down quite a bit, but again the CD's are either in the player or in the console with the lid closed.

I know it doesn't make ANY sense - and had the car CD player been my only indication, I'd have chalked it up to "fussyness" in the CD player - but when my LAPTOP saw them as blanks, THAT got my attention!

I wonder if something happened to the "index" or "FAT Table" or whatever it's called on the CDs? But even so, what CAUSED it - and to TWO CD's, one after the other, on the same day?

S T R A N G E... but I WILL try to write to one tonight.

ryandunn

Joined Sep 18, 2009
I'm guessing the stupid answer, which is that you either

a) didn't actually burn them in the first place and just thought you did,

or

b) grabbed the wrong cd-rs.

a cd-r cannot be erased, so, these are the logical possibilities.

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
HOW STUPID CAN I BE?

I was just sitting here, came home early, and was gonna burn new CD's. Put a blank in and WOW, one of my 'bad' Cd's material was on it already.

I know what I did - two days before the CD's were "erased" I brought them in the house to label them. I must have labeled one right - and the other two I wrote the lists on blank CDs and then put the burnt ones on the blank CD stack and the blank ones in the car.

Sorry everyone - this was a REAL stupid thread!

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Do you have any friends, or family, that like to play practical jokes? It wouldn't be that hard to swap CDs and try to make the labeling look the same.

Maybe this is a longshot, but I thought I'd mention it. :) The fact that the CDs now visually look like blank ones, is very suspicious.

EDIT: ah, we were writing at the same time. So anyway, now you know a good practical joke to play on your friends.

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
I am posting this on three boards. Post four makes me laugh! On EACH board one person on each board guessed it before I found my error.

See, I didn't label them till last week. THEN, on saturday they were "erased", but it didn't occur to me that I"d labeled them and THE NEXT TIME I played them, they were blank! I was thinking I labeled them WEEKS ago... but no.