Did i get the voltage and the resistor right for this led horticulture light ?

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Well I'm hoping to be able to use a barrel jack as the main plug to the board and then bolt it onto a recycled cpu heat sink and then plug it into my dad's solar panel batteries that he set up (he's an electrician pretty much so he's got everything set up perfect) the lights are actually horticulture lights to add some extra supplemental to my space bucket( about 1ft wide walls and like 4 feet tall) this way if I do get it printed (as my first PCB project) I have an actual use for them other than being a pretty cool project to learn basic electricity from. Man I just learned so much from your simple comment lol, so if it's 1.08 you round up to 2w resistor right ? And that's what I would be buying a 2w resistor or a 120ohm resistor? Thanks so much for the help btw
@steam29 I don't mean to offend you, but I think you are doing this with no knowledge of tha basics what so ever. If you are using "12VDC" batteries to power your device, that means the voltage of the batteries might be fluctuating from "11VDC" to "14.4VDC", this is why I asked what are you powering them with. This will change the calculations with a new input voltage. If you have a regulator after the batteris, outputting a stable 12VDC, that will be good.

steam29

Joined Nov 24, 2018
@steam29 I don't mean to offend you, but I think you are doing this with no knowledge of tha basics what so ever. If you are using "12VDC" batteries to power your device, that means the voltage of the batteries might be fluctuating from "11VDC" to "14.4VDC", this is why I asked what are you powering them with. This will change the calculations with a new input voltage. If you have a regulator after the batteris, outputting a stable 12VDC, that will be good.
yea sorry i am extremely new :/ i am on chapter two of the text book right now but i am learning a lot, idk how my dad has the batteries set up but it is not direct into the batteries it goes through a ton of stuff he set up then out of an outlet. looks like i got a lot more reading to do lol but i am positive he has a regulator after the batteries considering the whole garage and a room are connected to the power.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
yea sorry i am extremely new :/ i am on chapter two of the text book right now but i am learning a lot, idk how my dad has the batteries set up but it is not direct into the batteries it goes through a ton of stuff he set up then out of an outlet. looks like i got a lot more reading to do lol but i am positive he has a regulator after the batteries considering the whole garage and a room are connected to the power.
Ok, that seems reasonable, but you should know the LEDs will burn if there is no regulator and you should check and always be careful not to set something on fire!

I suggest you start with something simpler. This thread has a discussion about books and videos for beginners:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/good-book-for-electronics-self-study.46209/
If you need some book, you can ask bertus. It takes 4 years x 90 hours of lectures and 90 hours of practive in the University for 1 subject to learn electronics. Don't think its easy!

steam29

Joined Nov 24, 2018
Ok, that seems reasonable, but you should know the LEDs will burn if there is no regulator and you should check and always be careful not to set something on fire!

I suggest you start with something simpler. This thread has a discussion about books and videos for beginners:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/good-book-for-electronics-self-study.46209/
If you need some book, you can ask bertus. It takes 4 years x 90 hours of lectures and 90 hours of practive in the University for 1 subject to learn electronics. Don't think its easy!
thanks for the reccomendation, my only goal so far is to be able to create a pcb capable of using like 50+ leds. but i will start small, i read a comment about a student work book, maybe i will check it out