Did I get the right capacitor?

judoGTI

Joined May 26, 2005
Hello - I'm trying to complete this circuit and am having a hard time sourcing the right capacitor. It needs to be a .1uF

At first I got a ceramic capacitor, but then read you should not use ceramic ones for analog circuits. So then I got a few of these. The bin said they were .1 mfd (I assume that meant micro farad which = .1uF?) But looking at the top it seems to say either ".1K100" OR "1K100" and the dot indicates the polarity (+)? Or do I need to run to radioshack and get a cap that is more barrel shaped that has obvious polarity (electrolytic I believe they are called)

Thanks!

I'm trying to build one of these:
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Most-Useless-Machine/

Here is the circuit

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
You have the right capacitor. I believe the K is the tolerance, + or - 10%
So the capacitance is 0.1uf(MF) + or - .01uf. The voltage rating is 100V which if okey. It is a film dielectric capacitor so as long as the working voltage is greater than what you using it will be fine.

judoGTI

Joined May 26, 2005
Thank you both. I'll wire it up tonight!

When you say C2 is needed for stability, Im not sure what you mean by stability? Of the signal?

I'm also a little confused as to why pin 5,2,1 &6 are connected and between pins 2 & 5 with the connection of the 1 pin it also goes to ground there. It seems like an odd place for it, but my knowledge as to how this works just yet (beyond the basic switching of power) is still a little shaky.

Thanks for the help with C1 cap!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
By the way. You do not have any decoupling cap. You should use the spare .1uF ceramic ones for this purpose. Put it close to pin 8 and the other end to GND