Dial Up Networking

dMoser

Joined Aug 25, 2011
Hi,

I have a mobile cellular modem, which I connect to a PC, and then establish DUN connection in the PC via that modem, and I'm able to surf the internet.

I have 2 PCs.
I connected the cellular modem to each PC, and checked the max. download throughput and max. uplaod throughput.

I got different upload speeds, but same download speeds.

What parameters should I configure in both PCs to be the same, in order to get the same Upload speed?

Thanks.

dMoser

Joined Aug 25, 2011
Hi Bill.

I indeed wanna set both configuration to be identical.

I just don't know where the configuration parameters are located in each PC.

I'm using FTP Server for testing Upload and Download.

So in both PCs, I entered Regedit in Start->Run window,
went to HKLM -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Services > TcpIp -> Parameters

And set there the same configuration.

What else is needed?

Thanks.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Don't edit registry it will not do much, leave the system as it is. If something goes wrong you have to reinstall the OS again.
BTW you have 2 PC, what OS you are using in them, and what FTP client application you are using, are you sure that the settings are ok in FTP client application. Try to check the FTP application’s settings

Good Luck

Last edited:

dMoser

Joined Aug 25, 2011
Hi,
Thanks for your comment!

Both PCs use the same:
- FTP Server for DL and for UL
- FTP Client application (settings in client application remain as default after installation, in both PCs)
- Same size of files to be DL and UL
- Same OS is used - Windows XP

I'm not sure what causes this difference in upload.

* Note:
I think that all I need to do is to have the same settings for the dial-up adapters in these PCs.
Do you know how to do that?

Last edited:

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
When you install XP it installs some default settings for internet but some of them also depends on the hardware so that might be causing this problem, we do tweak registry but only which we are sure of and without having a look of your system its really very hard to say about it...
Anyway here is the document for editing registry for Tcpip.sys driver.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314053
Use it at your own risk...

If I would be in your place I would first try to change the settings of the FTP client application. As I am sure that your hardware is not identical.

Good Luck

dMoser

Joined Aug 25, 2011
Thank you very much mate.

Regarding the Client application, I installed the same FTP Client application on both PCs, so why should it make a difference?

I'm reading the great article you posted here.
Do you know how I can get the ID of the dial-up adapter installed in a PC?

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Regarding the Client application, I installed the same FTP Client application on both PCs, so why should it make a difference?
The hardware makes the difference i.e.. your network adapter in your motherboard, so I am saying optimize the Client application for better UL bandwidth.
Do you know how I can get the ID of the dial-up adapter installed in a PC?
It has been described on the first section of the article... anyway I am adding it here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
Tcpip\Parameters
Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ID for Adapter
NoteID for Adapter is the network adapter that TCP/IP is bound to. To determine the relationship between an Adapter ID and a network connection, view
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\<ID for Adapter>\Connection
. The Name value in these keys provides the friendly name for a network connection that is used in the Network Connections folder. Values under these keys are specific to each adapter. Parameters that have a DHCP configured value and a statically configured value may or may not exist. Their existence depends on whether the computer or the adapter is DHCP configured and whether static override values are specified. You must restart the computer for a change to take effect.
Source : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314053

Good Luck