dial up internet with out phone service

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
we recently changed from one satilite ISP to another, but this new one has ridiculos caps, making it almost imposible for me to do alot of the stuff i normaly did. my parents dicided a few years ago to dump land line for tracfones, and hughesnet wich was fine because i could do downloads at night, but this ISP caps that also. the main reason for hughes at the time was speed and the cost of landline like $40 + 14 for isp was about the same. i would love to just find a free dial up provider and do my downloads that way, but everythingi have hered says imposible, but you can get DSL with no land line service so why not dial up?

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i'd love DSL, but frontier says it's unavilable where were at. thay told us a bilding description and addres said i your in 5 mi you can get it. were at about 5.5-53/4+ 3/4 mile drive way. they say it would reach that far. i think thats what thay say because els it would be slower than rated, and may not be 100% relible, but in my mins i would think it would work. faster services are nice, but i'm so sick of download caps and for the stuff i do i'm virtuly garanteed to go over it. slow, but used before and was a bit slow, but had times with hughes that was just about as slow, or would'nt even work. also tired of trouble shooting isues when 95% of them i can do nothing about because its the ISP, Eg. hughes or dish.
and charter don't have the proper cabaling, or even come out this far.

Industry insiders tell me Sprint has the fastest speeds (4G) because all their comm. lines are fiber-optic...but it also costs the most. Time-Warner cable is upgrading their service and may provide an alternative in your area.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations]

tinamishra

Joined Dec 1, 2012
Dial-up Internet is one of the traditional way of accessing internet. In such connection specific number is dialed through computer and your internet is get connected and it is also known as public switched telephone network. But now a days 2G and 3G services are available in which fiber optics and other wireless networks are used to do so.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I know what there is available, but we have very little options satellite, dial up, cellular. we have really poor cell signal, but they built a new tower mid last summer and it's still not operational. almost all cell service have data caps as well as many satellite service. I don't care how slow it is. I want to download stuff with no caps, and getting pretty much dial up over satiate for going over. I'm so tired of caps anything sounds better even for surfing than the new sat service, but I don't really have a choice, since what my parents want to do.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
If you have dial-up that means a land line phone is available, correct? I don't understand why you can't get DSL then. My DSL comes to me by my land line phone wires.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
we have the cable, but service is not active, called local phone co and said we are just over 1 mi out of range. I would think would work still maybe not real fast, but be better than satellite.
I know dial up is slow, but I'm so tired of data cap and troubleshooting ISP problems that I can't do anything about at least twice a month it seems. dial up has neither of these. rather be frustrated by things taking a bit longer than keep dealing with these stupid satellite problems.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you have dial-up that means a land line phone is available, correct? I don't understand why you can't get DSL then. My DSL comes to me by my land line phone wires.
The physical length of the line from the switching station to your phone has to be less than a specific limit in order for DSL to work. When I first got DSL, the limit (at least here) was three miles. I was less than a mile from the switching station that served my neighborhood, so I was suprised when they told me I was too far a way. It turned out that the lines servicing my neighborhood went fifteen miles out and then came back because of how connections in my area evolved. Apparently, before my neighborhood was built, a new switching station was put in and the lines from the old switching station were just disconnected. Then as development moved toward our area, they kept tying in to those now unused lines and bought them in from that end, which was much closer and cheaper than running new wire from the old station that now had the excess capacity to serve our area. About a year later they were running fiber (for other purposes) in our area and piggybacked that effort with running new copper to the distribution boxes in our neighborhood, so then I was finally able to get DSL.

As for satellite. Don't get me started. I have HughesNet and I am almost never able to get much above 100kb/s even though I am paying for 1Mb/s. I am frequently below 30kb/s. Not a happy camper. But I can't get anything else (except dial-up).

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
that's who we had and biggest thing ticks me off is they say download this that, etc on their ads and never tell you about the FAP. my dad called the when we got near dial up service and there like your over the download limit. after being put on hole for 1hr+, seems like a lousy way to do baseness to me. then they charge like $60 a mo for 1 meg service. any dsl for < 20 can do 1meg. I know the satellites aren't chap but still seems ridiculous to me. we changed to dish net begging December. I guess dish network bought Hughes net. and using altered equipment and plans for their service. download staff in download window for dishnet like did with hughes after a weekish we have crap service, ended up reseting it for rest of mo. end up 5GB cap for night and day. go over nigh and uses up day. how dish net and I guess Hughes gen 4 work. I think a cap at night is stupid. like who other than a few people will be on. download a few meg PDF downloaded at 10 meg and our service is rated 5. so their equipment is not a problem, at least yet. so I see no reason for the cap other than to get more $.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
Hughes irritated me so bad. i was like someday i invent something get enough $. I'll make my own ISP and won't have caps or ridiculously high price for a low end service. be similar but no satellites needed in space. so be cheaper.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
If it wasn't for a local wireless company I would be stuck with satellite. We are too far out for DSL and the small local cable company doesn't provide internet. Costs me about $40.00 a month, not real fast but no limitations.

You guys on satellite might check to see if a wireless WiFi (not cell phone) company is available in your location.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Believe me, I'm trying. There is only one company that currently has a wireless signal into our area (very mountainous) and my neighbors on either side can get their signal but I can't, and I don't have line of sight to either of my neighbors, even though they aren't that far away (did I mention that our area is very mountainous?). They (the company) was going to put up a tower within our community that would let them hit nearly everyone that wasn't already getting a signal (about a dozen homes, not all of whom would subscribe, of course) and the community HOA approved it with glee; but just before they started digging (two years ago) to put in the pole (and it is just a telephone pole with a repeater on top) the county decided that it had to be disguised as a tree, even though no one can see it (without decent binoculars) except a handful of homeowners that are all within the community and all of whom WANT to see it!. That, so far, has been a deal breaker. The company just doesn't see the return on investment for the considerably higher cost of a suitably disguised pole -- and I don't blame them.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
For only $15k or so install fee, then $1,500/month, you could get fiber access, unless you are REALLY out in the middle of nowhere. Some plans go as low as $400/month for 20Mbit up and down.

The reason dial up ISPs are expensive and rare is there isn't a market. They are paying fixed monthly costs to have a fiber line to a router connected to a dozen or more Telephone lines. Only 1 line can be used by 1 person at 1 time, so they can charge what they want, as well as boot people off. Same goes for Satellite. Limited bandwidth, if everybody had unlimited download per day, everybody would only get about 10kb/s speeds. A Satellite covers a huge service area, so everybody out of range of cable or DSL is using them, the bandwidth then adds up fast.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Believe me, I'm trying. There is only one company that currently has a wireless signal into our area (very mountainous) and my neighbors on either side can get their signal but I can't, and I don't have line of sight to either of my neighbors, even though they aren't that far away (did I mention that our area is very mountainous?). They (the company) was going to put up a tower within our community that would let them hit nearly everyone that wasn't already getting a signal (about a dozen homes, not all of whom would subscribe, of course) and the community HOA approved it with glee; but just before they started digging (two years ago) to put in the pole (and it is just a telephone pole with a repeater on top) the county decided that it had to be disguised as a tree, even though no one can see it (without decent binoculars) except a handful of homeowners that are all within the community and all of whom WANT to see it!. That, so far, has been a deal breaker. The company just doesn't see the return on investment for the considerably higher cost of a suitably disguised pole -- and I don't blame them.
I feel for you.. Get up a petition and/or a movement to vote the decision makers out of office..

Several years ago we had a tornado come through that wiped out the power station that feeds us plus all the telephone poles. We were without power for over two weeks. We got by with a generator and cell phones but no internet. My business depended on the internet so twice a day I would run into Tulsa with my laptop. Would go into a truck stop restaurant with WiFi and take care of emails and such.

If you have a truck stop or even a McDonalds within a reasonable distance with WiFi it might be an option.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
were in the middle of nowhere pretty much. small town so only a few companies around. charter, frontier the main ones with a few smaller ones. and we have almost no cell signal, but that should change when they get the tower up the road online. built over summer, but sitting dead for almost 6 mo now, suspect they have to wait for FCC or something before it goes live. and all the cellular plans have caps too. there is no wimax, wifi in the area. we could have almost had wimax for the town, but didn't work out. I guess the original teacher for the network administration program at the local college was almost ready to write the grant and this would possibly give students some other stuff to work with, and maybe jobs I would guess. but I guess students said was a stupid idea and he dropped it, then last fall there teacher went to a university. I think that would have been a good idea since lots of rural area, and right on a great lake lots of people could use it since wimax is like 30mi ish range, and fairly level area so would think would work.