Dexter McCoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
How long are the mods going to let this troll stick around?

obviously a troll, but not breaking any rules.. Tough job for the mods maybe a change in tos is in order

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
TOS are absolute rules. We have other flexible guidelines.
There is no obligation on the part of AAC to maintain a person's membership on AAC because membership is free and voluntary.
When the mods decide a member has to go the member goes.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you see an infraction then use the little red triangle in the corner (
), otherwise use the ignore function if you can't handle someone. One of the major rules here is if you can't get along with someone then don't participate with them. Anything else is trolling on your part.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Who is Dexter McCoy? Can not remember any troll at this this site, in the recent past tense
EDIT: Never mind I figured it out

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As Bill Marsden says, if a member annoys you, all you have to do is ignore the post.
By responding, you are playing the part of a troll.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
RANT

The mods must have hit the ignore button. Is this why it is allowed to go on and on?

Some others come here and ask a simple question about a normal automobile question and are shut down by the TOS. This guy is asking questions (and not willing to accept the answers) over and over again about flight electronics, but that's OK. Because airplanes are safer to work on than cars and don't violate the TOS.

Like I said several weeks ago, this is how it happened at ETO. People complained about his behavior and were told that the complainers are the trolls. I know this isn't ETO, but please at least pay some attention to what is happening.

RANT OVER.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
At what point and how did you ever manage to come to the conclusion that those who make the rules in life are smart, have common sense and are unbiased? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
So then we should report each and every time he has broken the part of the ToS where it talks about copyright?

He is posting proprietary and possibly export controlled information to the world.

The ToS clearly state under appropriate conduct that a person should not post illegal or inappropriate content. It continues under the portion pertaining to copyright that someone is to give due credit when posting copyrighted material where appropriate.

The schematics posted are proprietary and copyrighted by their respective developers.

Troll, or not, are we to condone these actions?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Isnt there something in the tos about one user name.... dexter sure sounds like another poster who claims to be an electronics technician.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I'm the troll... That's rich!

This guy or gal is a menace... Asking questions in circles... Apparently possibly posting sensitive data and getting a good laugh, I suppose. But you do nothing and tell me to add them to my ignore list (which I did the first time I wasted way to many hours on him/her). That's not enough. I've seen several good forums die because the mods didn't have the stones to rid the trolls... I just don't want to see that happen here.

I acknowledge that this is a tough case... But don't blame the trolling on me!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Haven't read anything form him, but sounds like a reincarnation of jgatsby/split infinity. If history is a guide, he'll hang around until he begins to annoy the mods.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

This guy or gal is a menace... Asking questions in circles... Apparently possibly posting sensitive data and getting a good laugh, I suppose. But you do nothing and tell me to add them to my ignore list (which I did the first time I wasted way to many hours on him/her). That's not enough. I've seen several good forums die because the mods didn't have the stones to rid the trolls... I just don't want to see that happen here.

Tindel,

I agree with you completely that the treatment of Dexter is odd but our MODs are not stupid, ignorant or apathetic. I assume the MODs must know something I don't know. Maybe AAC is somehow liable for advice given that causes an automotive related injury while AAC exempt for advice that results in a crash of a plane.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
To me it looks like this person do not have any formal education in electronics. And he make the mistake of trying to understand it all, without taking time to learn the basics first. And he also select or tend to ignore answers that do not fits his impression on what is correct. I would say his behavior is quite rude against the people trying to help him. But he do not violate any forum rules. If everybody ignore him. He will move to another forum. And the problem will be "solved"

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
To me it looks like this person do not have any formal education in electronics. And he make the mistake of trying to understand it all, without taking time to learn the basics first. And he also select or tend to ignore answers that do not fits his impression on what is correct. I would say his behavior is quite rude against the people trying to help him. But he do not violate any forum rules. If everybody ignore him. He will move to another forum. And the problem will be "solved"
I really don't know what to think. If you look at some of his questions, they can be fairly sophisticated (at least to me, without a recent strong background in electronics). Yet he cannot seem to comprehend or want to comprehend.

How can you formulate such questions if you are clueless of the background material?

On a related subject, it really bugs me when a poster that can barely write English asks a rather complicated question that might take followup. 9 times out of 10 when members respond there is no response from the OP. My guess is they did not understand what was posted in the follow-up. I just don't know why they bother in the first place.

That said I really have a lot of respect for those that try to make their way through a complicated subject like electronics in a language that is not their first language. I don't think I could do it.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Here is reminder on how AAC moderation operates. It seems like some of you forgot about it and some of you didn't have the chance to learn about it yet.

DexterMccoy is allowed to create new threads and ask the most silly, basic and evident questions he wants, as long as he doesn't break the ToS. He is even allowed to post each and every question of a textbook and ask for the answer. What is not granted to him, is answers. AAC does not enforce any lower limits for patience or intelligence on his members.

Answers, which some of you or your peers sacrifice their time to provide. No one is forcing you to reply to his threads, yet most of them run 3 pages long. If you are truly disgusted by the way his threads run, there are some members who think differently and you need to respect them as well.

Now, on the topic of violations:

If a member produces posts with duplicate, copy-paste or unintelligible content, they may be considered as spam and treated as such.

DexterMccoy will get a brief ban for posting aircraft schematics and asking for assistance on them in this thread, despite being instructed no to do so in this thread.

Little Ghostman will get a 1-day ban for personally attacking DexterMccoy in this post.
This does violate the ToS and in a very serious way.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I used to get hotter, faster, about random, "irrelevant to electronics" posts by people that seemed to be blogging on AAC, but I eventually learned that loosewire isn't going away.

You all need to realize that you are going to out last another really strange poster, and a few months later, another one will show up. That's as far as I have achieved any wisdom about this. If I was really smart, I would understand why the moderators can't just kick people out to keep the intellectual standards of the site up.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I think that Dexter McCoy is the reincarnation of Billy Mayo.

If there is no rule against multiple user names ... and I know the rule shouldn't have to exist, but multiple names is one avenue the trolls travel frequently.

If we don't feed the trolls, they will move on to a forum that does. That's been my observations over the years I've been associated with various forums.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You might have noticed that Billy Mayo got a permanent ban, to avoid confusion with DexterMccoy.

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

By making a personal post about someone, which in my personal rulebook is against ToS, you have fitted yourself to the role of troll.

People who come here to troll will run afoul the moderators eventually. I do not use the ignore function, it would be a violation of my duty here. I do depend on members to report questionable posts, at which time I must make a judgement call. The moderators here (unlike other sites) do work as a team. It is one of our strengths.

Not liking someone or their posts is not sufficient reason to ban them. Personal attacks are, especially since the forum software has the options to just ignore them.

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
Maybe you all know this but "Dexter" has been banned multiple times from several different forums using several different names. He then waits for a while and then comes back under another name. I have been involved in discussions just like this one, about him on other forums. I always encourage everyone to ignore his posts, however there always seems to be someone who will keep trying and trying to help him.
Some people have thought he is a bot, he's not I have received private messages from him using very abusive language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B General Electronics Chat 3