Determine the value of inductor in DC-DC (boost) converter

hbklau

Joined Nov 4, 2009
Hi all,

I am currently building a DC to DC boost converter and I have problem identifying the value of the inductor in the circuit. Can someone guide me for this? I am using a frequency of 5kHz and when the duty cycle is 0.75, it should have an output of 20V (5V as input).

I tried using different values of inductor along the way and found out the following:

Duty cycle of 0.75
4mH = 14V
0.220uH = 30V+
1mH = 15-16V

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It appears you have no provisions for feedback from the output to adjust your PWM percentage.

Your output will be unregulated.

5kHz is a rather low frequency for a boost-type DC-DC converter. You will likely need a large inductor that is very resistant to saturation.

hbklau

Joined Nov 4, 2009
It appears you have no provisions for feedback from the output to adjust your PWM percentage.

Your output will be unregulated.

5kHz is a rather low frequency for a boost-type DC-DC converter. You will likely need a large inductor that is very resistant to saturation.
Hi sir,

thanks for the reply. Sorry that I did not mention about the feedback circuit. As my professor told me, he want me to work on the open loop circuit first before working on the feedback. (Getting 20V for output with 0.75 for duty cycle) He had already given me the formula for the feedback and I will be working on that after determining the basic element value.

But I don't understand why we need larger inductance as what I learn from the formula of the inductor is V = L (di/dt). If the value of inductor is small, then the rate of change of current will be fast. As mentioned earlier, I tested the open loop circuit with 2 inductors, 220uH and 4mH and it turns out the smaller value of inductance gave a higher output. I suppose i might need a inductance value between 220uH and 4mH in order to achieve the 20V (Duty cycle:0.75).

Please advise me if I have misunderstand the theory behind it. Thanks a lot.