Determine Polarity of a Transformer?

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
There ain't no positive on a transformer. All transformers are AC.
Wow I am on a role today!

Sheesh....So it wouldn't matter how I wire it up then I suppose. (The two wires on the secondary).

Please exuse me. I'm acting terribly dumb.

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Well fellas, I just wired it up, and it works well!

My multimeter is telling me 7.8VAC which is perfect for what I was intending to use it for.

I'm no longer afraid of AC.

Thanks to all.

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Well fellas, I just wired it up, and it works well!

My multimeter is telling me 7.8VAC which is perfect for what I was intending to use it for. I don't know the current output...but I suppose my multimeter could do that somehow...

I'm no longer afraid of AC.

Thanks to all.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Are you trying to figure which is the primary vs. secondary?
There is no polarity in a transformer, not hot, nor ground.
A transformer is an AC device, and it isolates the two sides, and is not connected to the core.
Nah...Transformers may indeed have "polarity". There are some rules that apply to winding interconnections - if you break them, you may break your transformer as well.
I have two links for more about this
http://sound.westhost.com/xfmr2.htm#s8
http://solderman.dapj.com/2005/09/transformers-series-and-parallel.html

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Nice links. (I wish I knew how to do links!) but neither of them picture a transformer like the one in the photograph (posts #12 and #14).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Start another topic on links, they are easy.

Bill's Index

How to Display Attachments Full Size

Back on topic, there is an AC polarity associated with transformers, 0° phase shift and 180° phase shift. Many oscillator designs use this (such as Armstrong oscillators).

The thing I've always loved about transformers is, like a motor (and for the same reasons) they only pull power when it is delivered. No load on the secondary, very little load on the primary. One of Dr. Tesla's better ideas.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Simple, for step down transformer primary resistance is more compared to secondary.:D
Still, bad assumption. You don't know if a transformer is a step down or not, without markings who can tell? Transformers are also reversible, which is handy for an inverter. I love it when the manufacturer puts the specs on the case of the transformer. This used to be the standard.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
As a thumb rule then it comes to 50/60 Hz power transformers. The wire thickness used in the windings will most often point you in the correct direction. For a transdormer meant to work as step down transformer. The sencondary will in most cases carry more current and have thicker windings. But if you are unsure do not connect the transformer to the mains at all. Not all transformer are power transformers meant to be used for the hobbyist in linear power supplys