Detect rotation/force, set timer, emit loud beep/noise

lunitunez

Joined May 21, 2008
howdy folks, I'm a novice to circuitry, but I had an idea for a homebrew project. I was looking for some guidance as to specific information/terminology to look into, so I can look in the right direction as to what I should be researching to make my project a success.

My main goals for this "Identify location by sound" project

1. be as small as possible approx. (1" x 1" x 1/2" ) if feasible

2. least amount of mass/weight.

3. low power consumption

now since im a novice i could be out on a limb here if this is even feasible

basicly i want this device to have an on/off switch,whether it be a switch, or a pressable toggle on/off clickable button

powered by a battery, hopefully of the calculator, watch variety (assuming this circuitry I speak of hopefully consumes a low amount of power)

so with the device on, it would first detect spinning/movement, hopefully there would be a threshold where just picking it up/walking around with it isnt detected, but like a constant rotation/movement force of at least 5-10 seconds, ive done some research and it seems an IC "accelerometer" would do the trick.

once this is detected it would then communicate this information to a circuit that sets itself on a timer of 5-10 minutes

If it is not reset during this time then it would send a signal to a component that emits a loud beep/noise (from a power consumption standpoint the device I speak of will hopefully be reset by the user before this takes place, so therefore when the loud noise is utilized it would be active for maybe 5-10 minutes max, in a day, however this is user dependent so 5-10 is a variable, but shouldnt fluctuate too much)

then I would need a mechanism to reset until the next time the same force is detected again if I so choose. (this will probaby be seperate from the on/off power switch)

Thanks for reading through my idea, if anyone could identify the terminology for each of these pieces it would be appreciated, just so I know what I'm looking for. Any additional feedback is welcomed. Thanks!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I know it is possible, but part of the question is, how much are you willing to spend? The size is a real kicker. Just a suggestion, scale it up for a prototype, then try to shrink it down after it does what you want it to.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
As for the accelerometer, that may be overkill. Since your aim is not to measure anything like acceleration or velocity and simply wanting to detect motion, then something a bit simplier could be used to detect any disturbance of the unit. Pedometers have a motion detection scheme that is relative simple allbeit limited to one axis of motion. Your application would need something a little more involved.

Perhaps a small metal ball enclosed in a conductive spherical cage containing alternating conductors so that as the ball rolled around in the cage the circuit would be made or broken.

hgmjr

lunitunez

Joined May 21, 2008
ahh yes, thanks for all your input. I have purchased a book from the IDIOTS guide series entitled Electronics Projects, if anyone else may have suggestions for books, online resources, or even websites that supply these types of circuits it would be appreciated thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
ahh yes, thanks for all your input. I have purchased a book from the IDIOTS guide series entitled Electronics Projects, if anyone else may have suggestions for books, online resources, or even websites that supply these types of circuits it would be appreciated thanks
Here at AAC, there is a very good reference to be found. Take a look at www.allaboutcircuits.com and explore the material offered there. You will even find a section on suggested example circuits that provide a great opportunity to test you understanding of the various devices and concepts that are presented.

hgmjr