Desoldering Station

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've used professional desoldering tools. I don't think you're going to like that unit for SMT parts. SMT, especially chips, generally use variations of hot nitrogen to heat up the board and part, and you use tweezers to pluck it off when the solder is melted. Of course, you have to be careful or the PCB is destroyed.

roadey_carl

Joined Jun 5, 2009
I've used professional desoldering tools. I don't think you're going to like that unit for SMT parts. SMT, especially chips, generally use variations of hot nitrogen to heat up the board and part, and you use tweezers to pluck it off when the solder is melted. Of course, you have to be careful or the PCB is destroyed.
Sounds expencive bill!
I've only had to solder a few smd transistor and I managed to do that with a small soldering tip,steady hands and some flux! I've seen some people use heat guns before? I guess it easy to burn the chip and pcb with that though?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yep. The unit you showed was for through hole parts. I've been using solder wick for most of my career to soak up the solder. It isn't the best, but it works.